Webb Heights home destroyed by fire

SHADYSIDE – A structure fire that broke out Saturday night destroyed the house. Firefighters believe that blaze started in the chimney from the wood burner.

The house, which is located at 60922 Webb Heights Rd., was full of smoke when the OR&W Fire District arrived. The home owner was not home at the time the fire ignited at about 6:30 p.m., said Fire Chief David Lenz stated.

The home owner had left about 30 minutes before the fire started. The home owner, who lives alone, was able to get his dog out. The home owner did lose his truck, ATV and motorcycle.

The Spirit of ’76 and Powhatan fire departments also answered the call before the Tanker Task Force was called in.

“We thought we could get ahead of it,” said Lenz, who also commented that they had some difficulties between the wind and cold.

Van Dyne may be reached at kvandyne@timesleader online.com