Schools compete in OVAC cheering competition
WHEELING – The 2014 Ohio Valley Athletic Conference Cheering Competition is scheduled for Saturday at WesBanco Arena starting at 9:30 am.
There are 5 divisions with 31 schools vying for titles in their respective classes.
“We are up in squad attendance this year from 29 to 31 in 5 divisions, which is good,” said Libby Shepherd, OVAC cheering director. “We are hoping the weather cooperates.”
With the swimming championships delaying their start time and canceling the preliminaries last Tuesday, the weather has been a challenge for competition squads even before the actual championship event.
“A lot of squads have been limited in practice times due to school cancellations,” Shepherd added. “But, on the other hand, all of the schools are in the same predicament.”
Defending champions are: 1A – Bishop Donahue; 2A – Toronto; 3A – Tyler; 4A St. Clairsville and 5A- Wheeling Park.
The schools will perform in the following order:
– 1A – Conotton Valley, St. Johns, Bishop Donahue, Paden City, Madonna and Beallsville
– 2A – River, Toronto, Bridgeport, Wheeling Central, Shadyside, Caldwell, Cameron and Clay-Battelle
– 3A – Barnesville, Magnolia, Bellaire, Monroe Central, Tyler and Linsly
– 4A – Steubenville, Weir, Martns Ferry, Harrison Central, Oak Glen, Union Local and St. Clairsville
– 5A – Parkersburg South, Wheeling Park, Indian Creek and John Marshall.
In accordance with the rules each school will perform a 3:00 minute routine, 30 seconds of which must be a cheer.
The winners of the Junior High OVAC cheering competition, which was held in October, will perform throughout the day between class competitions.
“We are looking forward to another great competition this year,” Shepherd concluded.
Doors open to the public one hour before the 1A schools take the floor at 8:30. Cost is $6 for adults and $4 for students.
Palmer may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org