Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

Division II State Championship

March 15, 2008 - Seth Staskey
The Libbey Cowboys and Chillicothe Cavaliers are set to get it on for the Division II state title. Libbey got here by ousting previously unblemished St. Paris Graham, while Chillicothe eliminated previously unblemished Poland.

Well, we're under way at Value City Arena and Chillicothe holds a 7-4 lead at the first media timeout. Anthony Hitchens -- who you still couldn't guard in a phone booth -- has five points, but two fouls. Ohio State recruit William Buford has an acrobatic field goal.

After one quarter, Libbey owns a 12-9 lead. Buford hit a trey late in the period to break the deadlock.

Chillicothe has just taken a 57-56 lead with less than three minutes to go and Libbey has just turned the ball over. Hitchens has been the difference. No one can keep him in front. Hitchens going to the line for a pair.

First one good

Second one.....up and off the rim, 58-56 . Libbey hits a high bank shot, knotted at 58.

After running a lot of time off the clock, Hitchens finds Smith for his first field goal of the state tournament and a 60-58 lead. Libbey then turns it over and Ray Chambers is fouled. First one good, Chillicothe leads 61-58. Second one good. 62-58. 43 seconds and counting.

Buford wraps off a screen and hits a trey from the top of the key, making it a 62-61 Cavaliers lead with 26.4 to go. Timeout Libbey.

Libbey fouls away from the ball. Chillicothe sinks one-of-two, pushing the lead back to two with less than 15 to go.

Lance Jones hits a 17-footer for Libbey to send the game into overtime, knotted at 63. This has been an absolute dandy from the outset. Question becomes will fatigue be a factor for Chillicothe since its playing only six players.

We'll see, another four minutes awaits.

Overtime is under way. Teams traded empty trips before Hitchens meshed a pair of foul shots. Libbey just turned the ball over as only 2:49 remains.

Chambers got an inside goal, but Buford answered with a pull-up jumper. Chambers was fouled in the act and just missed the first. Second one is good. Chillicothe up 68-65. Buford good again. He's now got 29 in the game and Libbey trails by one at 68-67. Time out Libbey with 1:57 to go.

The score is still the same, but the clock now sits at 31.9 seconds to go. Hitchens was just whistled for an offensive foul, which is his fourth of the contest.

Libbey got two looks at a shot, but Buford's attempt was too strong and the second he was fouled in the act, sending Libbey to the line for two shots, trailing 68-67 with just 5.1 seconds left.

Libbey gets both foul shots and now leads, 69-68 with 5.1 seconds to go.

Chillicothe inbounds to Hitchens who races it up the length of the floor and dumps it off to Chambers who lays the ball in just before the horn, giving Chillicothe the Division II state title, 70-69.


Article Comments

No comments posted for this article.

Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
Remember my email address.


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web