TWO BELMONT County buildings could become history -- in a good way.
The Concord Hicksite Friends Meeting House in Colerain and the Rock Hill Presbyterian Church in Bellaire are both slated to be considered Friday for possible consideration in National Register of Historical Places, along with eight other sites and buildings from across the state of Ohio.
Making the decision will be the Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board who are scheduled to meet at 10 a.m. to discuss the sites.
The Rock Hill Presbyterian Church near Bellaire, and the Concord Hicksite Friends Meeting House in Colerain are both being considered for placement in the National Register of Historical Places.
The Rock Hill Presbyterian Church near Bellaire and the Concord Hicksite Friends Meeting House in Colerain are both being considered for placement in the National Register of Historical Places.
If the board finds the sites meet the criteria to be placed in the National Register, the recommendation will be sent to the keeper of the National Register for her consideration.
The Concord Hicksite Friends Meeting House is one of only nine remaining Hicksite Quakers Meeting Houses in the entire state. It was built in 1815 and replaced another log meeting house that was destroyed by fire in 1813.
As originally built, the one-story brick meeting house was typical of most Friends meeting houses built between 1770 and 1870, with separate areas for men and women, divided by a movable partition.
According to the Ohio Historical Society, Hicksite Quakers no longer exist in eastern Ohio, but were once numerous. The Concord Hicksite disbanded in 1919 and the meeting house was put to other uses.
Rock Hill Presbyterian Church was also built to replace a previous structure that was destroyed by fire.
The current building, which is still used today, was built in 1903, eight years after fire destroyed the earlier building. The 1903 structure was designed by Belmont County native George D. Giffin. His father Hugh belonged to Rock Hill Presbyterian Church at the time.
It cost $13,000 to build the church and features asymmetrical red brick and has Gothic arched stained glass windows and a square tower and steeple.
Inside, there are the original oak pews and woodwork. The floor plan is done in an auditorium style, with a sloped floor and pews arranged in concentric arches to enhance hearing and sight lines.
Other sites being considered for the inclusion in the National Registry are the Mount Airy Forest in Cincinnati; Inglewood Historic District in Cleveland Heights; The Railway Chapel in Dennison, The Town Pump in East Sparta, Stark County; The Old Enon Road Stone Arch Culvert in Clark County; Shelby Shoe Company Building in Ironton, Olive Branch High School in New Carlisle, Clark County and the Harvey Wells House in Jackson County.