By BETTY?POKAS, Times Leader Area Editor
“SIDEWALK superintendents” were numerous in 1979 when Zane Central School, located at the corner of South Fourth Street and Hickory Street, was razed.
The school had not been used for several years and had been the site of at least one, and possibly two fires. One of the blazes occurred in either 1959, 1960 or 1961.
Apparently, the building initially was called Central School, but the name later was changed to Zane Central.
It is one of two schools that bore the name of the Zane family, famous in both West Virginia and Ohio. Another school in Martins Ferry had been named to honor frontier heroine Betty Zane, who is buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery.
Efforts were made unsuccessfully to save the building, which had served as a school for more than eight decades.
Items such desks and tables were removed from the structure before it was leveled, and these were sold.
The land also was sold, and it later became the site of The Citizens Bank.
As for the former school, its demolition drew many spectators who watched the progress of the work. Some people took bricks as reminders of the school that had served students since 1890s.
Pokas can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFTER?SERVING?the community for more than eight decades, efforts to save Zane Central school were unsuccessful. Pictured on the left is the structure prior to its razing, when all of the former school supplies and equipment were auctioned off. The center and right photos depict various stages of the school’s razing, which took place in 1979.