ST. CLAIRSVILLE - A Bellaire resident arrested in connection with a brutal attack on an 88-year-old man in late September was among several defendants indicted on felony criminal charges in Belmont County.
Robert Lee Ball Jr., 37, of 4585 Franklin St., Bellaire, was indicted on a second-degree felony charge of robbery last week, when a Belmont County grand jury handed down indictments for the October session.
Ball was arrested by Bellaire Police after he allegedly beating and robbing the elderly victim, who was rushed to the hospital with severe injuries to his head and arms. Police said Ball used a crutch as a weapon during the alleged attack on Sept. 23.
In Belmont County Common Pleas Court this week, Ball appeared for arraignment on the felony charge.
He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was given a trial date of Dec. 14. Ball has remained incarcerated since his arrest of Sept. 24 and according to court officials is being held behind bars on another county court charge.
A bond of $250,000 was set in the case.
Several other defendants indicted by a grand jury on criminal charges this month also appeared before Belmont County Common Pleas Court Judge John M. Solovan II this week. All defendants who appeared for arraignment entered innocent pleas to the charges against them and were given dates for future court hearings.
- Ashton Eric Fatula, 20, of 50960 National Road, St. Clairsville, one count each of identity fraud and forgery.
- Cody Dalton Wesley, 20, of 152 Hutchinson Drive, St. Clairsville, two counts of trafficking in drugs.
- Linnie Lanier Hilliard, 31, of 68201 Hope Lane, Apt. 114, Bridgeport, one count each of possession of drugs and having weapons while under disability.
- Christopher Lee McCormick, 31, of 69747 Main St., Bannock, one count of possession of drugs.
- Kimberly Lee Sudduth, 36, of 64257 Lynn Ave., Belmont, one count of assault and two misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest and driving under the influence.
- Kenneth Leroy Hall, 22, of 224 S. Lincoln Ave., Apt. B, Barnesville, one count each of theft, tampering with evidence, burglary and misuse of credit cards.
- Mark Duane McEndree, 23, of 46393 Firehouse Road, Belmont, one count each of theft, tampering with evidence, burglary and misuse of credit cards.
- Michael Jerone Fletcher, 47, of 46715 Stumptown Road, Cadiz, formerly of 48685 Dewey Ave., St. Clairsville, one count of domestic violence.
Several other individuals indicted on felony charges last week in Belmont County did not appear during the arraignment hearing this week. Some defendants had not yet been served with a summons to appear, while others failed to appear, prompting the judge to issue warrants for their arrest.
Ayres can be reached at email@example.com.