NONE of us remember when Morgan's Raiders traveled through Eastern Ohio, but most of us have heard about dashing Confederate Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan.
Some called him the "King of Horse Thieves" while others referred to him as the "Thunderbolt of the Confederacy."
It's obvious what they thought of him in Guernsey County as the Cambridge Times in July 1863, according to the "History of Guernsey County Ohio," by Col. Cyrus P.B. Sarchet, reported:
THE MONUMENT of the Civil War soldier in Barnesville’s Southern Cemetery didn’t travel as much as Morgan’s Raiders, but it wasn’t always in the cemetery. Initially, it was in front of the municipal building.
READY to defend the big wooden railroad trestle at Baileys Mills near Barnesville from Morgan’s Raiders was this Departmental Corps, a special company organized by Capt. James L. Deen, a Methodist minister in Barnesville. Morgan and his raiders went in another direction. The troops were photographed near the present site of the Barnesville municipal building.
GUARDING the McClainsville Bridge on the line of the Central Ohio Railroad are these Union troops during the Civil War.
"John Morgan, with the remnant of a band composed of the most villainous cut-throats and scoundrels, the sweepings and accumulations of two years of murdering and plundering among helpless people, amounting in number to probably six hundred, found his way into the county on Thursday, the 22nd inst., and entered the town of Cumberland about three o'clock ... As usual, his pickets were thrown out, and the work of insult and plunder commenced."
On July 25, 1863, the raiders ate their breakfast in Moorefield, Harrison County. Some later travelers were told, "Morgan just eat us out."
He and the raiders were captured July 26, 1863, at West Point, Columbiana County; they had penetrated farther north than any other Confederate forces.
Pokas can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.