BYGONE days in Clarington can be recalled at the Monroe County River Museum where a reception is planned May 28 in conjunction with the Clarington Alumni Association's annual banquet.
Preceding the alumni banquet will be a reception for all attending alumni from 2-4:30 p.m. in the "Clarington Memories" room of the museum. The banquet is scheduled for 4 p.m. with dinner at 5:30 at the Clarington firehouse.
"Showboat! Entertainment rides the river" is the exhibit now featured at the museum, and it's the beginning of a permanent exhibit.
THE DAETWYLER Blacksmith Shop on Ferry Street was a popular place when horses rather than motor vehicles were the main means of transportation. The Clarington Masonic Lodge now stands in that location.
The museum opened last year when its first exhibits were ready for the Clarington Sunfish Creek Festival, and plans are for it to be open again this year for the festival, scheduled June 11-12.
Barbara L. Rush, curator at the museum, said in addition to the festival, it is hoped the museum can be open throughout the summer if enough volunteers are willing to help.
Financial support and equipment also are needed for the museum.
It is located in the Ohio Valley Community Credit Union building, which is at the former site of the former First National Bank building in the village.
That isn't the only change in the Monroe County village over the years. Front Street is now Ohio 7, and the Daetwyler Blacksmith Shop on Ferry Street now is the Clarington Masonic Lodge building's location.
Clarington was settled in 1798, five years before Ohio became a state, and it was incorporated in 1847.
Pokas can be reached at email@example.com.