Leaves are falling, the weather is getting cooler, football games are underway and it's time for Monroe Central Football Moms' annual Homes Tour. On Sunday, Oct. 6, 1-5 p.m., five area homes and St. Paul's Church Trail Run will be ready for visitors, who will find diversity in this year's tour.
Tour stops include the homes of Harry and Pam McClure, Clint and Cyrena Abbott, Jimmy and Becki Williams, Justin Hogue and Ann and Randy Seckman, along with St. Paul's Church, which is celebrating its 175th anniversary.
There are many treasures to be found in this beautiful home of Harry and Pam McClure, 41040 Short St. (Wilson Lake), Beallsville. Creativity abounds as many of the pieces found in this home have come from garage sales, flea markets, salvage yards and a few pieces that were other people's junk. "Our goal has been to repurpose things and restore them," said Pam.
The home of Justin Hogue, located in Lewisville, is a true bachelor’s home. The left side of the home has a two-car garage and finished loft, while the right side houses the living area.
The home of Jimmy and Becki Williams of Woodsfield is one stop on the home tour. When the couple tore out wall to enlarge kitchen, they had to leave chimney, so they sanded it down and repointed the brick and it became the centerpiece of their new kitchen.
Harry and Pam McClure of Beallsville have built many outside additions to their home. Pam saw the outhouse/shed on Pinterest and Harry built the structures for her from a photo. The triangle-shaped building on left is a children’s playhouse that will also allow them the opportunity to camp out.
Coal mining memorabilia can be found in the home of Ann and Randy Seckman in?Sardis. This shelf contains coal mining collectors items, and in the center is a photo of the gas station Randy’s family used to own.
St. Paul’s Church is Sardis will be celebrating its 175th anniversary on the day of the tour. Tickets are not necessary for this stop. The church still has the original stained glass windows and bell. The chandeliers are also original, and the pipe organ was brought in on a river boat.
The McClure home started out as a weekend cabin built in 1996. In 2001, the couple decided to move from their Hannibal home to full-time living in the cabin, which is situated on Wilson Lake and is surrounded by nature's beauty. At that time, they built their garage, and in 2002, Harry's studio was completed over the garage. Harry is an accomplished artist whose paintings and clay sculptures can be found throughout the home.
In 2010, an addition doubled the size of the existing house. The main floor has an eat-in kitchen, living room, gallery, pantry, bath and master bedroom with an adjoining reading room, bath and walk-in closet. The loft has a guest bedroom which features Amish-made oak furniture designed specifically for this room. The lower level has a family room, bedroom and sewing room. There is also a laundry room and bath.
The table on the back porch was made by Harry using an old piece of fireplace marble as the top. The hanging windows on the front porch were salvaged, as well as the table parts which were made from two chimney flues and a fireplace mantle. If you remember the door-to-door Jewel T Company, you will recognize the Autumn Leaf pattern dishes displayed on the top of the kitchen cupboards. Imperial's 12 Days of Christmas plates decorate one of the kitchen walls. Moving into the living room, the mantle was free, recovered from the burn pile of a Bethesda building. The mirrors above the mantle were windows. Over the door to the front porch hangs the back of an old piano.
History buffs will love these prize possessions of the McClures. The three framed deeds on the gallery wall were given to Harry in a box of old paperwork that had been stored in a barn. One is signed by Patrick Henry (1786), one by Edmund Randolph (1787) and one by James Woods (1796). The three documents are deeded property to a McClure ancestor.
The hall bath has a claw foot tub, a yard sale find that was restored. The reading room off the master bedroom features a cabinet found at a used furniture store. There is a book that shows the attendance record of Pam's grandfather, Charles Ramsay, and his brothers when they were in the Jacobsburg, Ohio elementary school in the early 1900s.
The downstairs family room has a fireplace with the mantle and fireplace front, which came from a salvage yard and were used to make a gas fireplace. Over the mantle is another piano piece. The coffee table and the table at the bottom of the downstairs bedroom were found in a Cadiz moving sale. When cleaned, a name and address written on the outside of the shipping box were found. The rope bed has a carving with the initials RLR, made by Pam's dad when he was a little boy. The sewing room, done in 50-60s decor, features a chrome table and chairs bought at auction for $5. The cabinets were formerly in the kitchen of the old Warwood Presbyterian Church as well as the stainless steel counter that now is used as Pam's sewing work area.
The studio is used for sculpting with clay and painting. Outside of the studio is the outhouse that serves as a garden tool shed and a playhouse for the grandkids, built from leftover home construction materials. Quite the carpenter, Harry made the outhouse shed from a picture Pam gave him.
You won't want to miss this home on this year's tour. It certainly shows visitors how creativity, ingenuity and work, not to mention the gorgeous wooded setting, can create a beautiful, versatile living space.
The new home of Clint and Cyrena Abbott is located at 51175 Moore Ridge Road, Jerusalem. The first thing you notice when you drive down their lane is the beautiful windowed exterior of this two-story home. It has an open living concept and was built by Andy Schumacher's senior Swiss Hills construction class. All the beautiful cherry cabinetry was made by Andrew Ring, a well-known cabinet maker, who grew up in Monroe County. The living room features a corner fireplace, which Clint built himself. The light-filled room flows into the dining area and kitchen with eat-in bar. The soft green walls compliment the beautiful view of rolling hills from the deck.
The black wrought iron railing leads up the steps and across the open hallway where visitors will find three bedrooms and a bonus room, which serves as a tv/play room for two-year-old Carter. Clint and Cyrena's father Richard Riley laid the hardwood flooring. Carter's room is decorated with zoo animals and a large Thomas the Train track and cars. Carter will be moving to the third bedroom soon because the family is expecting their second child, a girl, in February.
The master bedroom features a walk-in closet, a large bathroom with glass shower and a beautiful chandelier hangs above the soaking tub. Clint did all the tile work in this bathroom. A little sitting area is also featured at the top of the stairs and a little nook is just right for a computer.
Visitors can see this is a beautiful home filled with love with all the family photos and the messages on the walls, "All because two people fell in love," "Always kiss me goodnight," and "Sweet dreams, Baby."
Tour-goers will know right away when they step out of their vehicles, this is a bachelor's home. The stone inscription reads, "Mancave." This is the home of Justin Hogue, located at 36657 State Route 78, Lewisville, just a few miles west of Woodsfield. Justin purchased this home from Dick and Karen Sulsberger and is still in decorating mode with the help of his mother, Tina. Visitors will not have to guess that Justin was a former Monroe Central football player. The evidence is at the entry of the house. The front porch features a swing and chairs that face rolling hills and a view of the state route.
The home has a large living room with a stairway leading to the upper rooms. The kitchen, with its black granite countertops, is an open floor plan to the dining area that features a view of the deck and more rolling hills. The master bedroom has its own bath. The quilt on Justin's bed was commissioned by his mother and features different phases of his life.
The upstairs has a guest room that has window seats and a beautiful view. There is also another bedroom and bath.
A bit of history can be found in this home also. Some of the old bottles and a few pieces of furniture from the former Columbia Hotel can be found. These are hand-me-downs from Justin's grandparents. His great-grandparents, Harry and Bessie Sutherland, owned and operated the Columbia Hotel for many years.
This "diamond in the rough" is unique in the fact that this young man, at such a young age, has had the foresight to make a wise investment in his future with his home and property.
The home of Jimmy and Becki Williams is located at 400 Eastern Avenue, Woodsfield. This actual four-story home is believed to have been built in the early 1900s and has been completely renovated by its owners. While taking out windows on a sunporch to make a mudroom, a $1 silver certificate dated 1913 was found tacked to a two-by-four.
The couple's love of country decor is prominent in their home. The walls are dark country colors with pretty border adding to the richness of the look. The original red brick chimney is exposed in the kitchen where white oak cabinets, made by Andrew Ring, feature granite countertops imported from Brazil. The flooring in the kitchen and mudroom is bamboo. The backsplash of the sink and cabinets are plastic painted silver to give it a look of tin. The adjoining living room features a large window overlooking Eastern Avenue. The ceiling here has been replaced with a foam type blocks, which are also reminiscent of the old tin ceilings. An antique Hoosier is featured in the living room along with an antique chest which Becki purchased as a Father's Day gift for her husband.
The upstairs has three bedrooms and bath. The couple has also renovated these rooms. They have added two window seats and a closet in the master bedroom, which is done in primitive decor and country border. Karlie's room is decorated in hot pink and lime green. The third room is decorated in tan and primitive wallpaper. Even the ceilings are papered in these rooms, noted Becki. The upstairs bathroom has been completely redone with a claw foot tub and granite countertops.
Being a coal mine safety instructor, Jimmy, of course, has a mancave which looks like the inside of a real coal mine. This room features mine bolts, manhole door and dark, coal-like walls. It is quite unique.
The couple is hosting a foreign exchange student for ten months. Since Andre has never seen a real Christmas tree or snow, Jimmy, Becki and their daughter Karlie will help Andre experience a country Christmas by cutting their own holiday tree. They will also be carving pumpkins, another thing the young man has never done.
The Williams family also has several four legged friends which share their home. Daisy is a Pomeranian/poodle mix, Otis is a little Pug and Paisley is the family cat.
The Williamses have been frugal in achieving the look they want with as little outlay as possible and yet they have created a warm, homey, country atmosphere. You won't want to miss this one. Parking is available beside the Monroe County Library, located across the street from the Williams home.
This will probably be the only home and acreage tour-goers have ever visited that was lost in a poker game. Wouldn't you have loved to have seen the look on Mrs. Arch Henderson's face when he went home to tell his wife he had lost their home and 127 acres in a game of cards? That's a little of the history Ann and Randy Seckman have learned about their almost 150-year-old farmhouse located off State Route 800 at 43008 West Union Road (Antioch), Sardis.
Ann is another homeowner who loves to be frugal. Most of her furniture and accessories were purchased for practically nothing, given to her or made by her. She loves to refinish older pieces and it shows in her decor. Everything she has added just seems to fit the period when her house was built. A friend of Randy's built the propane fireplace, which Ann painted and distressed. An old trunk serves as a coffee table. It was rescued from her mom and dad's garage. Coal mine memorabilia, reflecting Randy's profession, and various other items decorate a living room shelving unit. The oak flooring in the dining room is original to the house. Ann has used old burlap feed sacks to make her dining room curtains and to reupholster the chairs. A corner of the dining room holds an old cabinet she found at a yard sale. The walls are painted in an attractive shade of green, which Ann says she achieved by mixing three colors of paint. She didn't like the first color so she mixed to get a color she liked.
The kitchen has newer cabinets which were there when the couple purchased the house. The kitchen table was an old desk from a Cleveland school where her grandfather had taught. Ann is very creative and is into grundging, something this writer had not heard of. But Ann says you take Elmer's glue, coffee grounds and cinnamon mixed together to cover a vase, candlestick, lamp or whatever. It looks really nice.
The second story stairway features a beautiful quilt. French doors open to the master bedroom that has an ebony bedroom suite. Ann stripped, sanded and added several coats of polyurethane to exposed wooden walls in this room. Daughter Taylor's room is "girly" and has an old fashioned black wrought iron bed. Zachary, an MC football player, has a Seminole room, of course.
This is another home on the Oct. 6 tour that reflects the creativity of its owners.
Members of St. Paul's Church, Trail Run will be celebrating the church's 175th anniversary on the day of the tour. Tickets are not necessary for this stop. St. Paul's Church, located at 43936 Joe Frobish Road, Sardis (below Midway Community Center near Antioch), was originally a German Evangelical Church and was the third church organized in Benton Township. Located where the cemetery is now, the first structure was built of logs in 1838. The present church was dedicated April 16, 1871.
St. Paul's 600 pound bell was shipped from Germany at a cost of $328.54 and turned to the key of F-sharp. It bears the inscription, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Lords. The whole earth is full of His Glory." The beautiful stained glass windows were installed in 1914. The Hinner's pipe organ, purchased at a cost of $695 plus expenses, is still played today. It was dedicated on Aug. 11, 1918.
The church became St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church, Trail Run in 1933. Excavating for the basement, which was a backbreaking job due to the rock formations, was completed in 1937 and dedicated during Centennial Week, 1938. It was wired for electricity in May 1941. Improvements since 1982 include a handicap ramp and canopy, a well drilled to replace the old cistern, indoor plumbing and new lights.
St. Paul's had a parsonage from 1872 until 1923 when it was destroyed by fire. The current parsonage was purchased in 2006.
St. Paul's became affiliated with the United Church of Christ in 1952 and then became a Conservative Congregational Christian Conference church in 1995, which they still are today.
The open house will include a program, The Elson singing group and snacks. Everyone is welcome to join members of St. Paul's Church, Trail Run for this grand celebration.
Tickets for Monroe Central Football Moms' Home Tour set for Oct. 6, 1 to 5 p.m. will be available at the Monroe Central field house, located by the football field on Eastern Avenue, and also at the McClure and Seckman homes. Everyone going on the tour must have a ticket, available at $10 each. Refreshments will be available at the field house.
In addition to the homes and church, Nancy Sirianni, owner of Down in the Hollow Primitives, will host a grand opening the same day as the homes tour. Her inventory includes all handmade items and primitives. They also do custom work. The shop is located at 34851 Edwina Rd., Lewisville and will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. So don't forget to pick up a flyer which will be available at the field house.