JACOBSBURG - Firefighters from the OR&W, Spirit of '76 and the Powhatan fire departments fought a house fire on Pipe Creek Road that broke out just after 1 p.m. on Friday.
The fire was discovered and called in by Shadyside High School senior Hunter Hammond.
"I was going to my friends house when I saw the smoke. It was coming out windows and roof. I knocked on the door and no one answered, so I kicked it down. There was no one inside, but I think there were a couple dogs ... You never know if there was someone in there passed out or injured," said Hammond.
T-L Photo/ KAYLA?VAN?DYNE
Local firefighters fought a house blaze on Pipe Creek Road Friday. The call came in after 1 p.m. and firefighters believe the fire started in the basement.
According to OR&W Assistant Fire Chief John Shaver, they were able to get all the animals out. He believes the fire started in the basement.
"The floor collapsed in the back where it was burning through and the ceiling collapsed behind it. There was fire between the floor and ceiling which is hard to get to," said Shaver.
There were no injuries and no one was home at the time of the fire. The road was blocked for two or more hours by the Powhatan Police Department.
Van Dyne can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.