Murray shines again at Mt. Union
Another week, another huge outing from Mount Union and Martins Ferry’s Jeremy Murray.
The Purple Raiders made quick work of visiting John Carroll, jumping out to a 21-7 lead before hitting cruise control in the 58-7 final.
Murray scored the first two Mount Union touchdowns on runs of 5 and 9 yards before tacking on his final touchdown of the afternoon on a 10-yard run with 12:10 remaining int he third that brought the tally to 35-7.
The junior finished with 254 yards on 20 carries, an average of 12.7 per carry.
The yardage output was Murray’s highest while wearing the Purple & Black.
Through two games, Murray leads the Ohio Athletic Conference in yards (379), touchdowns (5) and yards per game (189.5). His average of 9.5 per carry is second in the conference, first among backs with more than 10 carries.
The No. 2 ranked Purple Raiders will play in their third-straight home game Saturday, playing host to Wilmington.
- Steubenville’s Zach Collaros helped Cincinnati get back in the win column by passing for 157 yards and a touchdown while adding a six-pointer on the ground in a 59-14 romp against Akron. Teammate and former Beaver Local all-Ohioan Derek Wolfe had three tackles, two of which were sacks.
On the opposite side of the field, former River QB Dylan Potts saw spot action, returning a kickoff 25 yards during the first quarter for the Zips.
The OVAC Bearcat duo can be seen this evening on national television when they battle N.C. State.
- Cornell’s DeMarr Moulton registered three tackles and an interception as the Big Red defeated Bucknell 24-13. Moulton is one of Cornell’s starting corners.
- Buckeye Local’s Isaac Omaits had four tackles, including assisting on for a loss in West Liberty’s loss to West Virginia Wesleyan. Martins Ferry’s Marco Richetti and Wheeling Park’s Alec Wood had three stops apiece as the Hilltoppers are still searching for their first win of 2011.
- Steubenville’s Mark Markakis had nine tackles, one behind the line, in Ohio Dominican’s loss to Ferris State
- Barnesville’s Dalton Smith helped Muskingum to a 2-0 start after passing for 114 yards and two TDs and rushing for another 53 yards in a win against Marietta.
Bridgeport’s Sean West had a pair of sacks along with three total tackles for Muskingum. St. Clairsville’s Jake Antolak also had three stops.
Hughes can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org