OFF THE TEE: Former area standouts shine at WJU Invite
The annual Wheeling Jesuit golf Invitational wrapped up early last week at Moundsville Country Club. Davis & Elkins claimed the title with a score of 619.
West Liberty was second with a 620 and Wheeling Jesuit checked in with a fourth-place finish with 634.
The Hilltoppers were led by Ryan Thomson who posted with a 143. Former Wheeling Park standout Joey Seabright was third overall and second on the squad with a 151.
Former Buckeye Local standout Andrew Strope fired rounds of 75 and 79 for a 154. He finished in a tie for fifth. Barnesville High product Bailey Warfield, who is a former OVAC champion, checked in with a round of 161, which was 19th overall and third on the Cardinals’ squad.
JOE WURTZBACHER aced the 89-yard 5th hole at Oglebay Park’s Crispin Course on April 20. Wurtzbacher used a pitching wedge for his feat, which was witnessed by Jay Tazar and Mike Crummitt.
The Belmont Hills Country Club will hold a demo day for Ping Golf Company today. Ping will have all of its new lines of equipment for players to try. The BHCC will also have its Vector Launch Monitor on hand to get players perfectly fitted for clubs.
Along with the demo days, the club is holding women’s clinics on May 8, 9, 11, 15, 16 and 18 from 5:30 p.m. until 7 p.m.
GET WELL SOON
We’d like to send our best wishes for a speedy recovery to Wheeling Country Club PGA Professional Jason Martin. Martin underwent an operation to remove a polyp from his vocal box a little more than a week ago. He began speaking, again, early last week. But, he told me via email that he “will be taking it easy moving forward.”
Jason is a very good representative of Wheeling CC and does a fabulous job in his position. Having said that, though, Jason is an even better guy. Hopefully, he’s back up and running full go really soon.
The Stoney Hollow Tire event was held on April 18. The 9-hole stroke play event was captured by Doug Miller, who shot a 33. Roger Kupfer was second with a round of 34. David Coram and Art Miller each posted 36s.
In the handicap division, Mark Hartline prevailed with a 32. Lloyd Carmichael was second with a 33 and Rick Diefenbaugh was third with a 34.
The Joe and Pat Kuskey Memorial two-man scramble was held last Sunday. Dan Willming and Doug Miller teamed for the victory with a score of 60. John Artimez and Jeff Miller also posted a 60, but settled for second on the tie breaker. Art Lightner and Mike Crow were third in the medal division.
Bob Hicks and Ted Koski claimed the handicap title in the event with a score of 57. Gary Mercer and Peter Barton teamed for the runnr-up finish, while Orie Robinson and Glen Starkey were third.
GOLF THOUGHT OF
“The term ‘mulligan’ is really a contraction of the phrase ‘maul it again.'”
- THE BELLAIRE Touchdown Club will hold its fifth annual golf scramble on Saturday, June 30 at Fairway River Links. Former pro athletes will be in attendance. The cost of the scramble is $60 per player or $240 per team. The cost includes golf, cart, lunch, beverages and a chicken or ribs dinner after the round. Entry forms are available at Rigas Restaurant and Gulla’s in Bellaire as well as the Central Grille in Shadyside. For more information, please call Norm at 699-0313, Bob at 676-5490 or Jay at 676-4960.
- THE FLUSHING MASONIC Lodge will hold its annual scramble on Saturday, May 19 at Cadiz Country Club. The event is open to the first 22 paid teams. The event will begin at 12:30 p.m. with a shotgun start. The cost is $50 per man or $200 per team. Included in the cost is golf, cart, lunch, steak dinner and awards after the round along with beverages on the course. The proceeds of the scramble benefit scholarships at Union Local and Harrison Central. For more information, please contact William McGowan at 740-942-4073 or Chuck Bizarri at 942-8196.
- THE Marshall-Wetzel-Tyler AFC-CIO will sponsor a four-person golf scramble on Saturday, May 5 at 9 a.m. at Horeshoe Bend Golf Course in Armstrong Mills. The cost is $50 per person, which includes a steak dinner, catered by Undo’s following the round. For more information please call Shel at 304-845-6002 or Chuck at 304-845-7326.
- THE OHIO River Valley Council Boys Scouts of America 2012 Scramble for Scouting event will be held on Thursday, May 24 at Oglebay Park’s Spiedel Golf Club’s Palmer Course. The event will feature a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start. Lunch will begin at 11 a.m. and dinner, catered by Undo’s, will follow. The top three teams will receive a cash prize. The cost is $125 per player. For more information, please call (304)-277-2687.
- THE 13TH annual Sons of Italy Bellaire Lodge #754 Golf Scramble will be held on Monday, June 11 at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event, which will benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities, will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes golf, cart, dinner and refreshments.
The top three teams will receive a prize. The tournament is limited to the first 36 teams. For more information please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- THE INAUGURUAL Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Classic Golf Scramble will be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on May 21. The scramble will benefit the Dowler fund established at Belmont College. The event will begin with a shotgun start at noon and dinner is slated for 6 p.m. The cost is $125 per player, which includes golf, cart, lunch, refreshments and dinner. There will be several contests, including longest putt and drive and raffles. For more information please contact Ron Konkoleski at 699-3980 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE SARDIS Volunteer Fire Department is sponsoring a golf scramble on Saturday, May 12 at the Fairway Riverside Golf Course. The cost is $50 per player and the top three teams will receive cash prizes.
The event is a four-person, better-ball scramble.
The cost includes: golf, cart and hot dog lunch. Sponsorships are also available for $50 each. For more information please call 740-624-1517 or email email@example.com.
- THE FOURTH Jesse Ault Memorial Golf Scramble will be held on June 9 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost to enter is $60 per player. The fee includes: golf, cart, refreshments and a chicken dinner.
The scramble is held to honor Jesse Ault, who was a member of the 82nd Airborne and then enlisted in the Virginia National Guard and served two tours of duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom, but was killed by a roadside bomb in Tunnis, Iraq on April 9, 2008, which was just a little more than a month before he was scheduled to come home.
He’s survived by a wife and three children. The proceeds of the scramble benefit the Jesse Ault Memorial Fund, which helps to sponsor a scholarship.
- THE INAUGURAL Martins Ferry Fire Department Golf Scramble will be held on Saturday, May 5 at the Bec-Wood Golf Course. The event will be part of the 125th anniversary celebration of the department. The scramble is a four-person event and the cost of a team is $240. For more information or to register a team please call 740-310-3402.
Staskey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org