OFF THE TEE: West Liberty’s Seabright set for NCAA Tournament
The West Liberty Hilltoppers golf team narrowly missed a trip to the NCAA Tournament, which begins today in Hershey, Pa. at the Hershey Country Club.
However, they’re top player, Wheeling Park product Joey Seabright earned a trip as well as Ryan Thomson.
All told, there will be 20 teams and six individuals taking part in the tournament. The top five teams and two individuals – not on teams – will earn a trip to the Division II National Tournament, which will be held in Simpsonville, Ky. at Bellarmine University.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Nau Hardware event was held on April 25. George Melnik won the event after he shot a round of 33. Larry Goodnight finished second with a round of 34. Roger Kupfer was third with a 37.
Jim Druschel won the handicap portion of the event with a 32. Rich Colley and Ed Toepfer each shot a 33. Martins Ferry head golf coach Joe Kosar checked in with a round of 33 to finish fourth.
The Borda’s and Borda’s 3-man mix event was held on April 29. The trio of Orie Robinson, Glenn Starkey and Kyle Wensel shot a 132. Kupfer, Mike Brickner and Ron Heatherly were second with a 132.
In the handicap division, Gary Mercer, Duane Lescalet and Chris Bommer teamed for a 129 and the title. Steve Domyan, Justim Domyan and Ken Miller posted a 130 for runner-up honors in the handicap division.
The Times Leader Sports Department would like to express its deepest sympathies to the family of Barnesville senior Chris Doty, who passed away this past week.
Doty was a standout golfer for the Shamrocks. He earned all-OVAC accolades this past season in Class 3A.
- THE BELLAIRE Touchdown Club will hold its fifth annual golf scramble on Saturday, June 30 at Fairway River Links. Former pro athletes will be in attendance. The cost of the scramble is $60 per player or $240 per team. The cost includes golf, cart, lunch, beverages and a chicken or ribs dinner after the round. Entry forms are available at Rigas Restaurant and Gulla’s in Bellaire as well as the Central Grille in Shadyside. For more information, please call Norm at 699-0313, Bob at 676-5490 or Jay at 676-4960.
- THE FLUSHING MASONIC Lodge will hold its annual scramble on Saturday, May 19 at Cadiz Country Club. The event is open to the first 22 paid teams. The event will begin at 12:30 p.m. with a shotgun start. The cost is $50 per man or $200 per team. Included in the cost is golf, cart, lunch, steak dinner and awards after the round along with beverages on the course. The proceeds of the scramble benefit scholarships at Union Local and Harrison Central. For more information, please contact William McGowan at 740-942-4073 or Chuck Bizarri at 942-8196.
- THE OHIO River Valley Council Boys Scouts of America 2012 Scramble for Scouting event will be held on Thursday, May 24 at Oglebay Park’s Spiedel Golf Club’s Palmer Course. The event will feature a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start. Lunch will begin at 11 a.m. and dinner, catered by Undo’s, will follow. The top three teams will receive a cash prize. The cost is $125 per player. For more information, please call (304)-277-2687.
- THE 13TH annual Sons of Italy Bellaire Lodge #754 Golf Scramble will be held on Monday, June 11 at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event, which will benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities, will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes golf, cart, dinner and refreshments.
The top three teams will receive a prize. The tournament is limited to the first 36 teams. For more information please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- THE INAUGURUAL Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Classic Golf Scramble will be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on May 21. The scramble will benefit the Dowler fund established at Belmont College. The event will begin with a shotgun start at noon and dinner is slated for 6 p.m. The cost is $125 per player, which includes golf, cart, lunch, refreshments and dinner. There will be several contests, including longest putt and drive and raffles. For more information please contact Ron Konkoleski at 699-3980 or via email at email@example.com.
- THE SARDIS Volunteer Fire Department is sponsoring a golf scramble on Saturday, May 12 at the Fairway Riverside Golf Course. The cost is $50 per player and the top three teams will receive cash prizes.
The event is a four-person, better-ball scramble.
The cost includes: golf, cart and hot dog lunch. Sponsorships are also available for $50 each. For more information please call 740-624-1517 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE FOURTH Jesse Ault Memorial Golf Scramble will be held on June 9 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost to enter is $60 per player. The fee includes: golf, cart, refreshments and a chicken dinner.
The scramble is held to honor Jesse Ault, who was a member of the 82nd Airborne and then enlisted in the Virginia National Guard and served two tours of duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom, but was killed by a roadside bomb in Tunnis, Iraq on April 9, 2008, which was just a little more than a month before he was scheduled to come home.
He’s survived by a wife and three children. The proceeds of the scramble benefit the Jesse Ault Memorial Fund, which helps to sponsor a scholarship.