Prep golfers begin their summer tours
It won’t be long that high school golf season gets under way.
Area players have already begun tuning up their games and will continue to do so on the variety of youth golf tours that are held around the Ohio Valley.
One of the first of the season was the First National Bank Junior Golf Tour event held on May 19 at Carroll Meadows Golf Club.
St. Clairsville’s Adam Jeffries finished third with a round of 76. Andrew Chlon – the Martins Ferry senior-to-be – was solid with an 81.
Martins Ferry’s Chase Stuckey and Shadyside’s Adam Stupak both turned in rounds of 82. Martins Ferry’s Taylor Shane and Zach Riggenbach posted rounds of 83 and 86, respectively.
In the girls’ 16-18 division, Kaitlyn Bliss competed and posted a 96.
In the 13-15 division, Brandon Bliss and Joel Shane of Martins Ferry each signed for a 107.
- DON CASH, of Bridgeport, aced the 165-yard par 3 18th at Fairway River Links on Monday, May 21. Cash used a 9-wood for his feat. The shot was witnessed by Rob Zitzelsberger, Ted Downing and John Dobrovich.
- BRICE HOLLER, of St. Clairsville, recorded his first ace on Tuesday, May 22 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. Using a 56-degree wedge, Holler aced the 96-yard 12th hole. The shot was witnessed by his brother, Drew.
- JOE MARCHLENSKI had a hole-in-one at the Wheeling Country Club on Saturday, May 19. He aced the par 3, ninth hole, which measures 155 yards with an 8-iron. This was Marchlenski’s third career ace, but first at Wheeling CC.
- RYAN LISH, of Bellaire, aced the par 3, 12th at Crooked Creek on Sunday, May 19. Lish used a sand wedge for his shot, which was witnessed by Jim Lish and Mark Dunfee.
Wheeling Country Club PGA Professional Jason Martin has qualified for the 2012 PGA National Championship. The event will be held from June 21-28 at Bayonet Black Horse Course in Seaside, California. Martin qualified to the tournament, which includes only 300 players, after finishing third in last year’s Tri-State PGA Section Championship.
If Martin finishes in the top 20 of the tournament, he’ll qualify for the final major golf tournament of the season, The PGA Championship at Kiawah Island.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Sharpsky Printing Tournament was held on May 16. Robbie Evans shot a round of 34 for the victory. Roger Kupfer and David Coram also had rounds of 34 to round out the top three after tiebreakers.
Bob Hoffman posted a 32 to win the handicap division. Jim Ennis, who posted a 33, finished second. Chris Bommer was third with a 34.
The Orie & Mechelle Robinson three-man scramble event was held on May 21. The trio of Jim Ennis, Bob Green and Bob McLaughlin won the event with a score of 140. That was seven strokes clear of Dave Slonaker, Pete Barton and Mike Brickner. Art Lightner, Mike Crow and Jim Druschel were third with a 148.
The handicap division title went to Roger Kupfer, Ron Heatherly and Bob Riser. They posted a 139.
ROBINS RIDGE LEAGUE
The weekly league held at Robins Ridge near Senacaville was held this past Monday. Dave Schultice and Larry Robinson both won closest to the pins.
The low gross went to the duo of Millhoan and Ullmann with a 34, while Moore and Bates as well as Stevens and Hartley had the low net with a round of 34.
- THE 4TH annual Lee Ann Golf Scramble will be held on Sunday, Aug. 19 at Belmont Hills Country Club. The event will begin with a noon shotgun start. The cost is $85 per person or $340 per team. The cost includes dinner, courtesy of Outback Steakhouse, drinks, door prizes and team prizes, which will be awarded to the top three teams. For entry forms or to make donations contact Todd Schambach 304-281-2205.
- The Union Local Touchdown Club is having its 6th annual golf scramble on Saturday August 4th at Crooked Creek Golf Course. The event will feature a shotgun start at 2 p.m.and the cost is $200 per team, which includes golf, prizes, beverages and steak dinner after the round. There is the option of dinner only if paid in advance for $10. The format is best ball and an extra mulligan costs $5 and entry to skins game cost $5. Prizes for long drive, closest to the pin and long putt will be available. Registration starts at 7:45 a.m. with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. For more information contact Shane Kildow at 740.391.5928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE BUCKEYE Local baseball team will be holding a golf scramble on Saturday, June 16 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The event will be a shotgun start at 8 a.m.
The cost is $50 and that includes golf, cart, food and beverages. For more information or to register, please call Rhonda at 740-381-4491.
- THE 13TH annual Sons of Italy Bellaire Lodge #754 Golf Scramble will be held on Monday, June 11 at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event, which will benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities, will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes golf, cart, dinner and refreshments.
The top three teams will receive a prize. For more information please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- THE FOURTH Jesse Ault Memorial Golf Scramble will be held on June 9 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost to enter is $60 per player. The fee includes: golf, cart, refreshments and a chicken dinner.