Soukup Memorial Scramble is deemed ‘a great success’
The inaugural Butch Soukup Memorial Golf Scramble, hosted by the Saints Club, benefitting the St. Clairsville High School Golf Team was held on Sunday, May 6 at Belmont Hills Country Club.
The event drew 32 teams, which is where tournament officials decided to cap the event.
The foursome of Matt Lucki, Marty Lucki, Martin Lucki and Zach Hanson captured the team title in the event with a round of 57.
Their score was a shot better than Kurt Fraznelly, Zach Bowman, Craig Bowman and Todd Schambach. The winners were two shots better than Jason Balcar, Dave Stack, Brice Holler and Darren Dombrowski.
Tournament director Randy Mellott deemed the event “a great success” and expressed his deepest appreciation to the Soukup family for all of its support along with all of the teams and players who took part.
BELMONT HILLS RESULTS
The annual spring Men’s 6-6-6 Tournament was held last weekend on the Par 72 layout west of St. Clairsville.
The duo of Dave Reasbeck and Andy Yanok won the first flight with a 59. There was a tie for second place between the duos of Larry Blake and Vince Oswald along with Ryan Mellott and Bryan Woodford. Both teams posted a 63.
The duo of Jack Carpenter and Alex Marshall shot a round of 64 to win the second flight. Terry Carson and Dr. Rob Looby were second by a stroke in the second flight.
Carpenter and Marshall won the overall crown, while Reasbeck and Yanok were second. Reasbeck also won the closest to the pin.
- JASON MARTIN, who is a Wheeling native now residing in Lexington, Ky., aced the 190-yard 8th hole at Bec-Wood Hills Golf Course on Saturday, May 12. Martin used an 8-iron for his shot. The feat was witnessed by Don Allenby, Dave Allenby, Ryan Allenby and Chuck DeLong, all of whom are from Wheeling.
ROBBINS RIDGE RESULTS
The Team of Arik/McCutcheon won the weekly round for May 14 with a round of 32 for the low net title. The duo of Stavroff and Mayberry captured the low gross with a 34 as part of the Secrest Center Senior League. The closest to the pin was Tom Hartley and the second shot went to Carl Bodner.
The league’s season gets under way in less than a week with the 16th annual Play-It-Again Sports Amatur Classic at Wheeling Park Golf Course. The two-day tournament has a purse worth $3,500.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Wheeling Park Golf Club held two more events last week. The Wharton’s Auto Service event was staged on May 9. Doug Miller won the medal division with a round of 33. Roger Kuperfer also posted a 33 and finished second. John Wilson was third with a round of 36.
Mark Hartline was the champion of the handicap division with a round of 33. Ray Coe was second with a 34 and John Bryan, who also shot a 34, was third.
The Glass Unlimited event was held on May 13. Gary Mercer and Chris Bommer won the event by two shots, posting a 63. Mike Crow and Art Lightner finished second with a round of 65.
Bob Doran and Bill Caldwell teamed for the victory in the handicap division with a round of 59. Joe Fatagati and Jerry Daugherty finished second with a round of 60.
- THE BUCKEYE Local baseball team will be holding a golf scramble on Saturday, June 16 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The event will be a shotgun start at 8 a.m.
The cost is $50 and that includes golf, cart, food and beverages. For more information or to register, please call Rhonda at 740-381-4491.
- THE OHIO River Valley Council Boys Scouts of America 2012 Scramble for Scouting event will be held on Thursday at Oglebay Park’s Spiedel Golf Club’s Palmer Course. The event will feature a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start. Lunch will begin at 11 a.m. and dinner, catered by Undo’s, will follow. The top three teams will receive a cash prize. The cost is $125 per player. For more information, please call (304)-277-2687.
- THE 13TH annual Sons of Italy Bellaire Lodge #754 Golf Scramble will be held on Monday, June 11 at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event, which will benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities, will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes golf, cart, dinner and refreshments.
The top three teams will receive a prize. The tournament is limited to the first 36 teams. For more information please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- THE INAUGURUAL Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Classic Golf Scramble will be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on Monday. The scramble will benefit the Dowler fund established at Belmont College. The event will begin with a shotgun start at noon and dinner is slated for 6 p.m. The cost is $125 per player, which includes golf, cart, lunch, refreshments and dinner. There will be several contests, including longest putt and drive and raffles.
For more information please contact Ron Konkoleski at 699-3980 or via email at email@example.com.
- THE FOURTH Jesse Ault Memorial Golf Scramble will be held on June 9 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost to enter is $60 per player. The fee includes: golf, cart, refreshments and a chicken dinner.
The scramble is held to honor Jesse Ault, who was a member of the 82nd Airborne and then enlisted in the Virginia National Guard and served two tours of duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom, but was killed by a roadside bomb in Tunnis, Iraq on April 9, 2008, which was just a little more than a month before he was scheduled to come home.