Soup Kitchen Scramble winners announced
The annual Soup Kitchen Scramble was held on Friday, May 4 at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park.
The overall championship went to the team of Mike Maguire, Jeff Hockenberry, Brian Myers and Maguire. The foursome teamed to shoot a round of 18-under par, 53.
Runnerup team was comprised of Phil Wright, Dave Frey, Chuck Monfredi and Jerry Fisher. The squad checked in with a 15-under, 56. Third place went to the team of Gary Dietz, Mike Price, Bob Walters and Justin Farrell at 14-under.
Five skins were won during the tournament.
The team of Mike Swann, Larry Robbins, John Robbins and Jimmy Swann posted two skins. Ted Showalter, Andy Poe, Dave Diosi and Brian Brookes had a skin on the 17th hole. Dietz, Price, Walters and Farrell eagled the second.
BOB McLAUGHLIN of Wheeling aced the 130-yard par 3, 13th at Fairway River Links on May 5. He used an 8-iron for his feat, which was witnessed by Bob Boran, Paul Morris and John Walters.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Patti Hoffman Memorial was held on Sunday, May 6. The Stableford event was won by Art Lightner’s round of 55. He was eight points better than Kupfer and Nick Klamut. Orie Robinson prevailed in the handicap division with a round o f53. Bill Caldwell was second with a 51.
- WEST LIBERTY’S Ryan Thomson qualified for the NCAA Division II national tournament with a 4-over 75 to qualify to the nationals in Kentucky. All told, Thomson posted a three-day score of 14-over par, which was good enough for the second qualifying individual spot by one shot.
- THE BUCKEYE Local baseball team will be holding a golf scramble on Saturday, June 16 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The event will be a shotgun start at 8 a.m. The cost is $50 and that includes golf, cart, food and beverages. For more information or to register, please call Rhonda at 740-381-4491.
- THE BELLAIRE Touchdown Club will hold its fifth annual golf scramble on Saturday, June 30 at Fairway River Links. Former pro athletes will be in attendance. The cost of the scramble is $60 per player or $240 per team. The cost includes golf, cart, lunch, beverages and a chicken or ribs dinner after the round. Entry forms are available at the course, Bellaire Hardware, Save Rite, Neff’s Quick Stop and Bellaire Barbershop, Rigas Restaurant and Gulla’s in Bellaire as well as the Central Grille in Shadyside. For more information, please call Norm at 699-0313, Bob at 676-5490 or Jay at 676-4960.
- THE FLUSHING MASONIC Lodge will hold its annual scramble on Saturday, May 19 at Cadiz Country Club. The event is open to the first 22 paid teams. The event will begin at 12:30 p.m. with a shotgun start. The cost is $50 per man or $200 per team. Included in the cost is golf, cart, lunch, steak dinner and awards after the round along with beverages on the course. The proceeds of the scramble benefit scholarships at Union Local and Harrison Central. For more information, please contact William McGowan at 740-942-4073 or Chuck Bizarri at 942-8196.
- THE OHIO River Valley Council Boys Scouts of America 2012 Scramble for Scouting event will be held on Thursday, May 24 at Oglebay Park’s Spiedel Golf Club’s Palmer Course. The event will feature a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start. Lunch will begin at 11 a.m. and dinner, catered by Undo’s, will follow. The top three teams will receive a cash prize. The cost is $125 per player. For more information, please call (304)-277-2687.
- THE 13TH annual Sons of Italy Bellaire Lodge #754 Golf Scramble will be held on Monday, June 11 at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event, which will benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities, will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes golf, cart, dinner and refreshments.
The top three teams will receive a prize. The tournament is limited to the first 36 teams. For more information please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- THE INAUGURUAL Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Classic Golf Scramble will be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on May 21. The scramble will benefit the Dowler fund established at Belmont College. The event will begin with a shotgun start at noon and dinner is slated for 6 p.m. The cost is $125 per player, which includes golf, cart, lunch, refreshments and dinner. There will be several contests, including longest putt and drive and raffles. For more information please contact Ron Konkoleski at 699-3980 or via email at email@example.com.
- THE SARDIS Volunteer Fire Department is sponsoring a golf scramble on Saturday, May 12 at the Fairway Riverside Golf Course. The cost is $50 per player and the top three teams will receive cash prizes.
The event is a four-person, better-ball scramble.
The cost includes: golf, cart and hot dog lunch. Sponsorships are also available for $50 each. For more information please call 740-624-1517 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE FOURTH Jesse Ault Memorial Golf Scramble will be held on June 9 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost to enter is $60 per player. The fee includes: golf, cart, refreshments and a chicken dinner.
The scramble is held to honor Jesse Ault, who was a member of the 82nd Airborne and then enlisted in the Virginia National Guard and served two tours of duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom, but was killed by a roadside bomb in Tunnis, Iraq on April 9, 2008, which was just a little more than a month before he was scheduled to come home.