Ault Memorial Scramble another successful event
One of the areas’s growing scrambles was another success last weekend.
The annual Jesse Ault Memorial Scramble was held at Crooked Creek Golf Course with a large field taking part.
The championship went to the team of Brad Hannahs, Greg Darby, Dave Guy and Ron Heskett. The foursome posted a solid round of 56 for the title.
Sepecial prizes went to Andy Clay (long drive), Tim Ault (closest to the pin) and Mike Freeman (long putt).
The team putting contest was won by Lance Rice, Darrin Sawchuk, Kevin O’Grady and Chad Zambori.
The proceeds of the event benefit a scholarship, which is named in Ault’s honor. Ault was tragically killed in Iraq during a tour of duty. The 2012 Union Local scholarship recipient was Michalene Mehl.
- DAVE DIOSI recorded a hole-in-one at Belmont Hills Country Club on Friday. He used a 7-iron on the 164-yard No. 2 hole. His feat was witnessed by his son, Devin.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Dorris L. Kinney 2-man scramble was held a week ago. Tom Mitchell and Jerry Daugherty teamed for the victory with a round of 59. That score was three shots clear of Jim Ennis and Bob Green. Gary Mercer and Dylan Mercer were third with a round of 63. Orie Robinson and Glenn Starkey posted a 63.
In the handicap division, Nick Klamut and John Wakim won the title with a score of 52. Joe Kosar and Justin Domyan finished second with a round of 53.
EASTER SEALS BENEFIT
The Eastern Seals Rehabilitation Center was one of the beneficiaries of the Third Alarm Bar Benefit Golf Scramble held late last month.
Easter Seals was presented a check for $7,000, which will be put toward the promotion of the use of assistive technology in therapy and beyond.
The scramble was held at Fairway River Links and attracted 135 players.
Co-chairs of the event Tom Vapner, Tom Dorsch and Rick Breiding visited Eastern Seals and learned more about the assistive technology through use of an iPad.
The second annual event will be held on May 18, 2013. It will be held once again at Fairway River Links. For more information please contact Vapner at 304-215-5315, Dorsch at 304-281-4214 or Breiding at 304-559-6442.
ROBBINS RIDGE GOLF
The league held its weekly event last Monday. Gary Mayberry won the closest to the pin and Reed Koegler was the closest to the pin on the second shot. The Stavroff/Mayberry squad and Wheeler/Conner both checked with a round of 37. Peters/Hartley had the low net with a round of 34.
SONS OF ITALY SCRAMBLE
The Sons of Italy held its 13th annual scramble last weekend. The team of Dwayne Pielech, John Pielech, John Becca and Gary Schrickel prevailed in the event. The foursome of Lou Di Paolo, Roger Brown, Dan Walker and Rake Herron was second.
The third-place squad was comprised of Jake Olsavsky, Phil Saseen, Jim Glaser and Phil Pata.
All of the proceeds of the event benefit Alzheimers and Cooley’s Anemia.
Pata, who served as the tournament director, wanted to recognize the sponsors for the event, which includes: Belmont Savings Bank, Bauknect, Altmeyer Funeral Home, Belmont Community Hospital, Buffalo Wild Wings, Davison Electric, Family Medical Supply, Fregiato, Myser and Davies, Mayor Bob Vincenzo, Gard Duty, Bellaire Big Reds Touchdown Club, Jacob and Sons, Lacione, Lloyd and Hoffman, Hole N Run, Panhandle Restoration, Siebieda Archtect, Stoney Hollow Tire, MSA Sports, Bommer Construction, Save Rite Pharmacy, Wheeling Hospital, West Texas Roudhouse, United Bank and Knight Manufacturing.
- THE BUCKEYE Local Touchdown Club will hold its annual four-man scramble on Saturday, July 14 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The cost is $45 per player. The tournament will begin at 9 a.m. with a shotgun start. For more information or to sign up please call 859-5028.
- THE ST. John Central baseball and basketball teams will be hosting a 4-person scramble at Fairway River Links in Rayland on Saturday, July 7. Registration begins at 6 a.m. and play begins with a a shotgun start at 7am. The cost is $50 per person or $200 per team, which includes cart, fees, beverage tickets, snack & dinner. Registration is being taken at the golf course that morning. Registration is available on the school website www.stjohncentralhs.com under athletics and the baseball section along with thru the school. Sponsors are welcome at $25 per hole. For more information please contact the high school at (740) 676-4932 or (304) 218-3449.
- The Union Local Touchdown Club is having its sixth annual golf scramble on Saturday, Aug. 4 at Crooked Creek Golf Course. The event will feature a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost is $220 per team, which includes golf, prizes, beverages, steak dinner after the round. There is the option of dinner only if paid in advance for $10. The format is best ball and an extra mulligan costs $5 and entry to skins game cost $5. Prizes for long drive, closest to the pin and long putt will be available. Registration starts at 7:45a.m. with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. For more information contact Shane Kildow at 740.391.5928 or email email@example.com.
- Bridgeport Boys Basketball will be holding a golf scramble on Saturday, July 7th at Paradise Hills, with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. The cost of the scramble is $150 per team ($50 per person which includes money for skins). Three man teams for the scramble. There will be 50/50 raffle, skins game, closet to the pin and longest drive. Cash prize will be paid out to the top two teams. Food and beverages will be provided during and after the scramble. To enter contact Donnie at 740-359-2806, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rick at 304-215-5573.