Dowler Memorial Classic a success
The inaugural Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Classic Golf Scramble was held late last month at Belmont Hills Country Club and deemed a success.
The event attracted 25 teams and got under way when Dowler’s widow, Linda, connected on a ceremonial first drive.
The scramble served as a fundraier for the Belmont College Thomas R. Dowler Fund, which benefits students, faculty, programs and facilities.
Major sponsors of the event included: Banker & White, Doan Ford, First Financial Partners Harvey Goodman Realtor PNC, Sam’s Club, St. Clairsville Sunrise Rotary and Whiteside.
BELMONT HILLS RESULTS
The club’s annual Memorial Day Members’ event was held last Monday. The team of Clay Wood, Chuck Poindexter, John Timko and Phil Pata won the event with a round of 61.
The foursome of Jamie Martin, John Estadt, Mark Bukmir and Natalie Brown finished second with a 62.
Rick Frio, Vince Oswald, The Tim Conway and Nick Karras all recorded a skin on the 11th hole.
Jack Carpenter and Rennie Minor were first and second, respectively, in the closest to the pin contest.
- TOM ADRAKTAS of Ajax, Ontario, Canada aced the 198-yard 6th hole on Friday, May 25 at Wheeling Country Club. Adraktas uased a 3-wood for his feat.
- GEOFFREY LUCAS of Triadelpia aced the 89-yard fifth hole at Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park on May 30. Lucas used a pitching wedge for his shot, which was witnessed by Brad Lucas and Jeff Hockenberry.
The club’s annual Memorial Day Derby was held with the team of David Shaffer, Jeremy High, Tim Leonard and Jacob Nickell prevailed with a round of 15-under. There was a three-way tie between foursomes for second place at 12 under. Those teams were comprised of of Jason Adams, Steve Block, Steve Wiley and Phil High; Rich Churilla, Travis Nelson, Joe Barki, Brian Komorowski; Jim Kepner, Robbie Mandraccia and Ryan Dunlevy.
Reid Amos won the closest to the pin on No. 3 for the players with 10-handicap and under. Gene Fahey won closest for the players with handicap of 11 and over.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Wheeling Automotive Group event was held on May 23. Roger Kupfer won the medal division with a round of 31. Art Lightner shot a 32 to finish second. Mike Perring won the handicap division with a round of 29. Mike Crow posted a 31 to finish second in the handicap grouping.
- THE 14th ANNUAL Niekro Scramble, which benefits Bridgeport Education, will once again be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on Friday, June 22. The entry fee is $100 per player and it includes golf, cart, beverages, lunch prior to the round, dinner after the round and prizes. Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Phil Nierko is scheduled to once again attend the event. Also making an appearance will be former pitcher Jon Warden, who won a World Series title with the Detroit Tigers in 1968. For more information on the event, please contact Gordie Longshaw (740-296-3580), Brian Schambach (412-736-5819) or Don Cash (724-350-9746).
- The St. John Central boys basketball and baseball teams will host a 4-person golf scramble at Fairway River Links in Rayland. The event will take place on Saturday, July 7 with registration beginning at 6 a.m. and shotgun start at 7 a.m.
Cost to enter the event is $50 per person ($200 for a 4-person team) and includes cart, greens fee, beverages on the course, snack, and dinner after golf. Prize money will be awarded to the top three finishers. All proceeds will benefit the Boys Basketball and Baseball programs at SJC.
To register or to get additional information, please contact Kevin Lahna at 304-218-3449 or the St. John Central High School Main Office at 740-676-4932.
- The Union Local Touchdown Club is having its 6th annual golf scramble on Saturday August 4th at Crooked Creek Golf Course.
The event will feature a shotgun start at 9 a.m.and the cost is $220 per team, which includes golf, prizes, beverages and steak dinner after the round. There is the option of dinner only if paid in advance for $10. The format is best ball and an extra mulligan costs $5 and entry to skins game cost $5. Prizes for long drive, closest to the pin and long putt will be available.
Registration starts at 7:45 a.m. with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. For more information contact Shane Kildow at 740.391.5928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- THE FOURTH Jesse Ault Memorial Golf Scramble will be held on June 9 at Crooked Creek Golf Course in Morristown. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the cost to enter is $60 per player. The fee includes: golf, cart, refreshments and a chicken dinner.