Ferry’s Bliss continues strong summer play
Martins Ferry’s Kaitlyn Bliss took part in the Ohio Junior Girls Championship this past week. She finished tied for 11th in the 16-18 year old age grouping. She shot rounds of 81 and 82 for a 163 total score.
Later in the week, Bliss continued her fine play on the First National Bank Tour. She won the 16-18 year old division with a round of 75. She was 10 shots better than her nearest competitor.
The First National Bank Junior Tour made a stop at the Wilkshire Golf Club in Bolivar last week.
St. Clairsville’s Caden Myers was the top local finisher with a round of 79. That score was four shots off the pace.
Martins Ferry’s Taylor Shane checked in with a round of 80. Harrison Central’s Drew Horn and Shadyside’s Adam Stupak both posted an 82, while Ferry’s Andrew Chlon shot an 83.
BRIDGEPORT BASKETBALL GOLF SCRAMBLE
The annual Bridgeport Basketball Golf Scramble was held last Saturday at Paradise Hills Golf Course in Yorkville.
Bulldogs’ head coach Donnie Cash, his brother, Ryan and Dave Reasbeck Sr. teamed for the victory at 15 under par.
The second-place team of Myles McFarland, Chuckie Bennett and Justin Linsky finished two shots back.
There was a tie for third place at 9-under. The teams were comprised of Brady Ruthers, Aaron Houdeshell and Justin Prati as well as Jon Nagel, Bruce Ruthers and Dale Proctor.
Bennett won the longest drive and Reasbeck captured the closest to the pin award.
- MICHAEL McDONALD of Bloomingdale aced the 90-yard fifth hole at Oglebay’s Crispin Course, using a 60-degree wedge. His shot was witnessed by Jared Heilman.
- DON DUNAWAY of Wheeling aced the 170-yard seventh hole at Oglebay’s Crispin Course on July 11. Dunaway used a 7-iron for his feat, which was witnessed by Randy and Randall Mallery.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Orie Robinson-Glenn Starkey 2-man scramble was held last Sunday. The medal division was captured by Art Lightner and Mike Crow, who posted a combined score of 124. Bob McLaughlin and Nick Klamut were second with a 130. Bob Green and Gary Mercer were third with a score of 136.
In the handicap division, Dave Slonaker and Mike Brickner prevailed with a score of 125. Roger Kupfer and Ron Heatherly were second with a round of 125.
The Paree Insurance event was held on July 11. John Wakim won the medal division with a score of 33 thanks to a scorecard playoff against Dan Willming. Art Lightner was third with a 34.
Vernon Moore won the handicap division with a score of 31. Jim Druschel finishd with a 32.
ROBBINS RIDGE GOLF COURSE
The weekly seniors’ league was held at Robbins Ridge Golf Course at Senecaville on July 9.
Ed Stavroff was the closest to the pin and Pat St. Clair had the closest to the pin on the second shot during the event. The duo of Stavroff and Mayberry were the low gross team with a score of 34. Low net went to Williams and Rupel with a round of 33.
The Moundsville Country Club, along with The Honeywell Corporation, are sponsoring the Free Honeywell Junior Invitational on Monday, Aug. 6. The tournament is open to all juniors from Marshall, Ohio, Wetzel and Tyler counties in West Virginia and juniors from Belmont and Monroe Counties in Ohio. We will have four age groups: 12 and under, 13-14, 15-16 and 17-18. There will also be an overall girls division. Plaques will be given for the top three in each age group or division. All participants will have free entry into the event and will also receive a free hot dog, snack and drink. Inquiries please call Moundsville C.C at 304-845-2153.
- THE ST. Joseph’s Holy Name Society of Tiltonsville will hold a four-man golf scramble on Saturday, Aug. 18 at Fairway River Links in Rayland. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 7 a.m. The cost to enter is $50 per person, which includes golf, cart, food, refreshments, prizes. There will be closest to the pins and other contests during the round. For more information or to register, please call 740-859-9304.
- THE 9TH annual Beallsville High School Golf Team Scramble will be held on Saturday, Aug. 4 at Switzerland of Ohio Country Club in Beallsville. The event will begin with an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start and the cost is $50 per golfer, which includes golf, cart, food, refreshments and prizes. For more information or to register, please call Kate Dietrich at 740-458-0219.
- THE SECOND annual Chris Miller Memorial Golf Tournament will be held on Sunday, Aug. 12 at Wheeling Country Club. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The cost to enter is $100 per player, which includes golf, cart, boxed lunch, beverages, games, prizes and dinner following the round. All proceeds benefit the Chris Miller Fund. For more information or to register, please contact Mike Romaine at 304-242-6620 or Jason Martin at 304-232-2020.
Staskey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org