Oglebay to host NCAA?Division II regional tourney
The college golf scene is heading toward tournament competition and some very talented players will be at Oglebay Park’s Jones Course this week.
Oglebay Park is playing host to the Division II Atlantic/East Regional men’s tournament onday through Wednesday. Players will actually be arriving into the Friendly City on Sunday and go through a practice round. More than 100 players are expected to be taking part in the 54-hole event that will tee off at 7:30 a.m. each day.
The top 10 teams in both the Atlantic and East Regionals are entered along with four individuals from each region.
The top three teams and the two individuals, not on qualifying teams, will advance to the NCAA Division II National Tournament scheduled May 20-24 in Hershey, Pa.
BELMONT HILLS RESULTS
The Men’s 6-6-6 tournament was held at Belmont Hills Country Club last weekend. The first flight was won by Larry Blake and Gary Young with a score of 66. Dan Ponzani and Dick Cope were second with a 68.
The duo of Alex Marshall and Bill Sokolowski shot a 69 to win the second flight. The runnersup were Terry Carson and Dr. Rob Looby with a 70.
Marshall and Sokolowski won the overall title, while Blake and Young finished second.
Looby and Larry Landtiser won prizes for closest to the pin.
WHEELING PARK GOLF CLUB
The Bordas & Bordas 3-man mix event took place on April 28. The trio of Orie Robinson, David Coram and Kyle Wensel prevailed with a score of 66. Bob Green, Jim Ennis and Tony Coppa was second with a 72.
In the handicap division, Art Lightner, Gary Mercer and Chris Bommer posted a round of 65 to prevail. Finishing second was Joe Kosar, Steve Domyan and Justin Domyan with a 67.
OGLEBAY JUNIOR GOLF
The Wheeling Junior Golf Association will hold signups on Saturday from 9 a.m. until noon at the Par 3/Driving range building for its summer instructional golf program at Oglebay Park. The eight-week program begins June 3 and includes instruction at the driving range, rules, etiquette, safety, and on-course play for ages 7 through 17. Participants are also encouraged to play and practice on their own and are provided an identification card for discounted golf and driving range fees.
- The Bellaire Sons of Italy is hosting its 14th annual golf scramble to benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities on Monday, June 10. The event will be held at the Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. The entry fee is $200 for a four-man team. Cost includes golf, cart, refreshments on the course and dinner at the Haller Shelter following the round. The top three teams will receive prize money.
For more information, please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- The Shadyside Boosters are sponsoring a 4-man golf scramble planned for Saturday, May 18 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course beginning at 8:30am. Registration for the 4-man team scramble is $200 per team. Teams can register at Eddie’s Barbershop in Shadyside. Cash prizes will be awarded and plenty of food and beverages will be available. For more information, contact Cork Gehrig at 676-3752 or Jerry Miller at 740-312-5023.
- The ninth annual Flushing Masonic Lodge Scholarship Scramble will be held on May 18 at Cadiz Country Club at 12:30 p.m.. The entry fee is $240 a team that covers golf, cart, prizes, lunch at the turn, beverages and a steak dinner following the round. The proceeds of the event benefit a scholarship at both Union Local and Harrison Central High Schools. For more information, please contact Bill McGowan at 740-942-4073.
- The Amanda Rosepapa Memorial Benefit golf scramble, sponsored by the Glencoe American Legion Post 632, will be held on Saturday, Aug. 10 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course in Armstrong Mills. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the entry fee is $200 per team. The price includes golf, cart, beverages, lunch and a steak fry after the round. For more information, or to register, please contact Glencoe American Legion at 676-93-19 or call Butch Meager 671-1059 or Rose Rosepapa at 310-4086.
- The Bellaire Touchdown Club will be sponsoring its annual golf outing on June 29 at the Fairway River Links. More information will be forthcoming.
- Bridgeport Boys Basketball will be holding a golf scramble on Saturday, May 25th at Paradise Hills, with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. The cost of the scramble is $150 per team ($50 per person which includes money for skins). Three man teams will be utilized for the scramble. There will be 50/50 raffle, skins game, closet to the pin, and longest drive. Cash prize will be paid out to the top two teams. Food and beverages will be provided during and after the scramble. To enter contact Donnie at 740-359-2806, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, Rick at 304-215-5573, or Greg at 304-281-1744.
- The second annual Saints Scramble to benefit St. James and John School will be held on Saturday, May 25 at 7 a.m. at Fairway River Links Golf Course. The cost is $60 per person and $240 per team. The entry fee should be paid in advance due before May 20th. Hole and green sponsorships are available for $100. The cost includes golf, cart fee and pasta dinner. The top three teams will receive cash prizes. For more information, please contact Jennifer Taylor at 304-232-1587 or Debbie Brown at 304-281-2068
- The Sardis Volunteer Fire Department is sponsoring its annual golf scramble on Saturday, May 11 at Fairway Riverside Golf Course in Sardis. The event will begin with an 8 a.m. shotgun start. The cost is $200. The fee includes cart rental, green fees and food and beverages. For more information, please contact Kevin Winkler at 310-0610.