Ferry’s Shane captures Eastern Ohio Jr. Classic
The annual Eastern Ohio Junior Golf Classic took place last week at the Cadiz Country Club. Thirty of the areas young golfers took part in the event, which acts as the fundraiser for the Harrison Central Golf team. The Harrison Central golf team would like to thank each of the generous sponsors.
Martins Ferry’s Taylor Shane captured first-place in the 16-18 year-old bracket with an 80. It was four strokes better than runnerup Nate Terry, of John Glenn.
Meadowbrook’s Ian West was third at 85, with Union Local’s Tristan Bruce fourth (87) and Harrison Central’s Austin Kowalski fifth (88).
Union Local’s Jarret Causby finished seventh (92), while St. Clairsville’s Nate Teater was ninth (97). The Harrison Central duo of James Beckett and Matt Hawthorne were 10th and 11th, respectively, at 114 and 122.
In the 13-15 Division, Steubenville’s Kasey Peterson fired an 82 to take top honors. He was followed by the Meadowbrook trio of Devin Webster (95), Trey Singleton (96) and Tanner Harrison (98). Taking fifth-place was Harrison Central’s Bryce Walrath (100). The Huskies’ Evan Ossman (101) was sixth.
Other local finishers were Meadowbrook’s Zach Clair (103); Harrison Central’s Jarrett Edwards (108); Martins Ferry’s Logan Miller (111); Harrison Central’s Clint Heavilin and Cameron McIntosh (114); Meadowbrook’s Marisa Goodnight (115); Barnesville’s Jacob Carpenter (120) and Raenah Norris (121); Union Local’s Josh Britton (122); and Barnesville’s Aspen Baumann (130) and Jeb Plumly (131).
- The Holy Name Society at St. Joseph’s Church in Tiltonsville is sponsoring its 31st annual scramble on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Fairway River Links in Rayland. The cost is $50 per man and the event will begin with a shotgun start at 7 a.m. The cost includes: golf, cart, food and refreshments. Prizes will be awarded along with several contests. Sponsorships are available at $25. For more information, please call 740-859-9304.
- The 7th annual Union Local Touchdown Club scramble will be held Saturday, July 27 at Crooked Creek Golf Course. Registration gets under way at 7:45 a.m., with a shotgun start slated for 9 a.m.
The cost is $220 per foursome and includes golf, prizes and a steak dinner, which will be served at approximately 3 p.m. The steak dinner, alone, will be $10 and needs to be paid in advance. Entries not postmarked before July 20 will cost $270.
A $10,000 hole-in-one is also being offered. Other prizes will also be given out for the best-ball event, skins game, longest drive, longest putt and closest to the pin.
Please make checks payable to: Union Local Touchdown Club. Entries should be mailed to Shane Kildow, 40680 Havenwood Dr., Belmont, Oh., 43718. For more information, contact Kildow at (740) 391-5928.
- THE LARRY LOEW Hilltopper Golf Scramble, which benefits the West Liberty football program, is set for Monday at the Arnold Palmer Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event will begin with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. Registration begins at 11 a..m. Along with the golf and lunch players will receive a special gift, dinner at the conclusion and several special contests will take place during the event.
- The Amanda Rosepapa Memorial Benefit golf scramble, sponsored by the Glencoe American Legion Post 632, will be held on Saturday, Aug. 10 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course in Armstrong Mills. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the entry fee is $200 per team. The price includes golf, cart, beverages, lunch and a steak fry after the round. For more information, or to register, please contact Glencoe American Legion at 676-93-19 or call Butch Meager 671-1059 or Rose Rosepapa at 310-4086.
- The Bellaire Touchdown Club will be sponsoring its annual golf outing on June 29 at the Fairway River Links. The cost of the scramble is $60 per person or $240 per four man team. The cost includes carts, fees, lunch and beverages during the scramble and a dinner of chicken or ribs after wards. Entry forms are available at Gulla’s Lunch, R’s Barber Shop, Frizzi’s in Bellaire and the Fairway River Links. For more information, please contact Norm at 699-0313, Jay at 359-7037 or Bob at 676-5490.
- The St. John Central Athletic Department will be holding a 4-Man Scramble on Saturday, July 13 at Fairway River Links in Rayland. The cost is $50 per person ($200/team) and includes a cart, green fees, beverage tickets and dinner.
Awards will be given to the top three teams: first-place ($400); second-place ($300) and third-place ($200). prize money is based upon 15 teams. Ties will be broken by handicap holes on scorecard. Other prizes will be awarded for the longest drive, closest to the pin, and contests on various holes around the course.
A bonus prize will be awarded for the first hole-in-one on an assigned par-3 hole. Amateurs only, but co-ed teams are welcome. The event will begin with a shot gun start at 7 a.m. Registration concludes at 6:30 and will be accepted until July 2. The first 36 teams will be accepted.
Checks should be made payable to St. John Central High School. Entries can be sent to St. John Central Athletics, 3625 Guernsey St., Bellaire, Ohio, 43906.
For more information, contact Kevin at (740) 218-5132; Tammy at (740) 676-4932; or Kristi Paolina at firstname.lastname@example.org