Myers captures first Ohio Valley Golf Association title
The Ohio Valley Golf Assocation’s 2013 season got under way last weekend with the 17th annual Play It Again Sports Amateur held at Wheeling Park Golf Course.
Bryan Myers shot a two-day score of 120 to prevail by five shots over Wheeling Park senior-to-be Thadd Obecny. Obecney was also the junior medal champion.
Larry Lis Jr (128), Eric Coe (129) and Bob Potts (133) rounded out the top five on the overall leaderboard.
In the junior medal, Obecny was the winner by five shots over David Coram. Scott Hand finished third with a 140.
Mike Wilson won the senior medal with a score of 128, while Bill Glitch was second with a 140.
Roger Kupfer won the super senior medal with a round of 129.
The OVGA will play eight more events throughout the summer. The next one being the seventh annual Kalkreuth Roofing Amateur Classic at Oglebay Park’s Crispin Center on June 8-9.
BRIDGEPORT BASKETBALL SCRAMBLE
The annual Bridgeport Boys Basketball Golf Scramble was held on Saturday, May 25 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The team of Dave Reasbeck Jr., Jack Becker and Rodney Gentile captured the title.
The team of Jeff Haught, Jason Haught and Pete Curelec were second, while the trio of Justin Clifford, Mark Kowalski and Zach Hanson finished third.
Dale Proctor was the winner of the closest to the pin and Logan Kincade was the long drive winner.
BELMONT HILLS RESULTS
The annual Memorial Day event was held and needed extra holes to settle a winner. The foursome of Patrick O’Donnell, Rennie Minor, Dr. Rob Looby and Andy Yanok prevailed on the second playoff hole against the team of Jason Balcar, Ernie Wilson, Sam Kelly and Don Wild. Both teams fired rounds of 61.
The team of Vic Wood, The Tim Conway, John Vota and Nick Karras posted a round of 63 for third place.
Closest to the pin prize went to Phil Pata Jr. There was a tie for the second closest to the pin with Mark Bukmir and Ernie Wilson.
Gary Mayberry recorded the closest to the pin award at this past week’s Senecaville Senior league play. Max Millhone had the closest to the pin on the second shot. The duo of Millhone and Ullmann had the low gross score at 34, while low net went to Williams and Ruppel with a 32.
NEW MARTINSVILLE resident Nate Taylor recorded an ace on May 25 at the Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park, using a pitching wedge on the 182-yard par 3. His shot was witnessed by Ryan Novick, Ryan Hammond and Donnie Gilbert Jr.
- The Smithfield Volunteer Fire Department 4-man golf scramble will be held on Saturday, June 15 at Castle-Shannon Golf Course. The event costs $260 per team and the entry fee includes golf, cart, skins, food, drink, door prizes and contests. Lunch will be provided on the turn and dinner will be provided following the round. The top two teams will receive cash prizes. For more information, please call Lenny Corona at 740-632-6572 or Geordie Lindsay at 740-317-5469.
- THE LARRY LOEW Hilltopper Golf Scramble, which benefits the West Liberty football program, is set for Monday, June 24 at the Arnold Palmer Golf Course at Oglebay Park. The event will begin with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. Registration begins at 11 a..m. Along with the golf and lunch players will receive a special gift, dinner at the conclusion and several special contests will take place during the event.
- The Bellaire Sons of Italy is hosting its 14th annual golf scramble to benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities on Monday, June 10. The event will be held at the Crispin Golf Course at Oglebay Park with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. The entry fee is $200 for a four-man team. Cost includes golf, cart, refreshments on the course and dinner at the Haller Shelter following the round. The top three teams will receive prize money. For more information, please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- The Amanda Rosepapa Memorial Benefit golf scramble, sponsored by the Glencoe American Legion Post 632, will be held on Saturday, Aug. 10 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course in Armstrong Mills. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the entry fee is $200 per team. The price includes golf, cart, beverages, lunch and a steak fry after the round. For more information, or to register, please contact Glencoe American Legion at 676-93-19 or call Butch Meager 671-1059 or Rose Rosepapa at 310-4086.
- The Bellaire Touchdown Club will be sponsoring its annual golf outing on June 29 at the Fairway River Links. The cost of the scramble is $60 per person or $240 per four man team. The cost includes carts, fees, lunch and beverages during the scramble and a dinner of chicken or ribs after wards. Entry forms are available at Gulla’s Lunch, R’s Barber Shop, Frizzi’s in Bellaire and the Fairway River Links. For more information, please contact Norm at 695-0313, Jay at 359-7037 or Bob at 676-5490.
- THE THIRD annual Tom Donahue Memorial Classic Golf Scramble will be held on Saturday, July 13 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course. The entry fee is $50 per person or $200 per team. The cost includes green fees, food, refreshments, prizes and door prizes. The event will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. and the field is limited to 72 golfers. The event is sponsored by the Bellaire American Legion Post #52. For more information, please contact Bill Wilson (391-9841), the American Legion (676-2515) or Dick Johnson (359-2301).