OFF THE TEE: Planning for final Christian Soldiers Celebrity Tourney underway
One of the area’s premier scrambles is taking shape for the final time.
The Ohio Valley Christian Soldiers’ 10th annual Celebrity Golf Classic, held in memory of Jeff Showalter, will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 13 at Belmont Hills Country Club.
It will be the final year of the scramble, which has brought in a who’s who list of celebrities from the tri-state area to help raise money for the Ohio Valley Christian Soldiers, which is an organization formed to benefit local Ohio Valley causes in a time of need.
According to OVCS member Dave Diosi the decision to make this the final scramble simply boiled down to the Christian Soldiers’ desire to take on a new fundraising project.
“We have been very blessed to have the support from major sponsors, tee and green sponsors, countless volunteers and especially the celebrities who have stood by us for an entire decade. This is a perfect time to end this great run and go out on a high note,” Christian Soldiers’ Board Member Ted Showalter explained. “To raise over $250,000 over a nine-year period in the Ohio Valley is a remarkable feat, and we are gracious for everyone who contributed to that number. Our goal this year is to raise over $50,000.00 and reach the $300,000.00 goal,” he continued. “I must stress that every single penny of the money we raise is given away to our local charities in need.”
The scramble will begin with a shotgun start at 11 a.m. and is limited to 36 teams. Entries are currently being accepted and the field normally fills up quickly. Each team will be assigned a celebrity.
The official list of celebrities is still being finalized, but some of the past participants have included the likes of Mel Blount, Archie Griffin, Phil Niekro, L.C. Greenwood, Kent Tekulve, Sid Bream, Grant Jackson, Phil Bourque, Gregg Lloyd, Louis Lipps, Lance Mehl and Jim Rooker.
The cost to enter a team is $600 or $150 per person and that includes lunch, golf (with a cart), beverages and snacks on the course, a cocktail reception and dinner/awards. The tournament will be a scramble format and the top three teams will receive prizes.
Numerous skill contests will be held throughout the round as well, including a chance to win a new vehicle courtesy of Whiteside’s for a hole-in-one.
Along with openings to participate in the event, sponsorship opportunities are still available as well. Major corporate partners already committed include: WesBanco, Whiteside’s, United Dairy, Lou Costanzo & Associates, Charles DeMatte (Pike Island Dental Associates), Tim’s Custom Installation, Muxie Distributing, Lamar, WTRF, The Times Leader, BBR Drilling and Ye Olde Alpha, who will be providing more than 200 steaks.
For more information, or to register a team, please contact the OVCS at 699-2468.
NEW BRIDGEPORT GOLF COACH
At last Wednesday’s Bridgeport Board of Education meeting, Mike Muklewicz was officially hired as the Bulldogs’ new head golf coach.
He takes over for Ron Gill, who stepped down after last season. The Bulldogs are still one of the area’s youngest golf programs. It’s been in existance for some five seasons.
Muklewicz is also a member of the Bridgeport basketball and baseball coaching staffs.
ROBBINS RIDGE SENIOR LEAGUE
The Robbins Ridge Senior League at Senecaville got underway this past week. Mel Davis posted the closest to the pin and Greg Clapper had the closest to the pin on the second shot. The low gross title, with a score of 34, went to the duo of Millhone and Ullmann. The low net, also with a score of 34, went to the same team.
The league runs weekly at Senecaville’s course.
OIL AND GAS OUTING
The second annual Oil and Gas Outing will be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on Monday, June 30.
The event is held to “show appreciation and awareness to the oil and gas industry.”
The event will begin with a 10 a.m. shotgun start and registration gets under way at 8 a.m. The entry fee is $675 a team, which includes golf, lunch, dinner, beverages on the course, prizes, special events and an open bar at the completion of play.
The event will benefit the Harmony House Children’s Advocacy Center, which works to strengthen the community’s response to child abuse.
The golf portion of the event will also feature skins, mulligans and raffles. Sponsorships are also available for the event.
For more information, or to register a team, please contact Ron Baker at Belmont Hills CC at 695-2263.
BELMONT HILLS CC
Club Professional Ron Baker is once again sponsoring junior clinics throughout the summer for aspiring golfers.
The clinic will start on June 3 and will include nine sessions with the last coming on Tuesday, July 1.
The cost of the clinic is $125 for BHCC members and $150 for non members.
The complete schedule for the clinics is as follows: Tuesday, June 3; Wednesday, June 4; Friday, June 6; Tuesday, June 10; Wednesday, June 11; Tuesday, June 17; Wednesday, June 18; Monday, June 23 and Tuesday, July 1.
All class times will be assigned on Sunday, June 1 and the golf pro shop will contact all of the participants with their scheduled times.
- THE BELLAIRE American Legion Post #52 will host its fourth annual Tom Donahue Memorial Classic Golf Scramble on Saturday, July 19 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course in Armstrong Mills with a shotgun start planned for 9 a.m.. The cost is $50 per player or $200 per team and registration is due by July 12. The cost includes cart, green fees, food, refreshments, prizes and door prizes. There will be an optional skins game for $5. The scramble is open to the public. For more information, please contact Bill Wilson (391-9841), Buzz Donahue (676-4110) and Dick Johnson (359-2301).
- THE BELLAIRE Touchdown Club is sponsoring its eighth annual golf scramble on Saturday, June 28 at Fairway River Links. The entry fee is $60 per person or $240 per team of four. Entry forms are available at Gulla’s and Frizzi’s Market in Bellaire and at the Fairway River Links. For more information, please call Norm at 699-0313, Jay at 359-7037 or Bob at 676-5490. For more information, please contact Norm via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A SCRAMBLE to benefit Jeff Masloski, known as “Tee’D Off at Cancer” will be held at Castle Shannon on Saturday, June 7. The event will begin with an 8 a.m. shotgun start. Jeff is a husband, father and caring friend and a well-respected member of the Adena community. He is a member of the Adena Chamber of Commerce. He was recently diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, and family and friends are
rallying behind him to tackle it head on. The cost to enter the scramble is $65 per golfer, 4-man teams. To secure a spot, call Ken Patterson 740-769-2038. There are also 50/50 tickets for sale at $1 each or 6 for $5. All funds raised will go directly to the Jeff Masloski benefit fund to help defray the significant medical expenses. Additional donations can be sent to Peoples National Bank of Mt. Pleasant in care of the Jeff Masloski Golf Benefit For more information call Georgie Hopkins 740-312-9108 or Doug Utter at 740-314-2029.
- THE 15th annual Sons of Italy Bellaire Lodge #754 will hold its annual golf scramble to benefit Alzheimers & Cooley’s Anemia Charities on Monday, June 9 at Oglebay Park’s Crispin Course.
The scramble costs $200 per team and includes green fees, cart, refreshments on the course and dinner after the round. The tournament, which will award prizes to the top three placing teams, is limited to 36 teams.
The prizes will for winning is $400, the second place team will receive $200 and the third place team receives $100.
For more information or to register a team, please contact Phil Pata at 695-0691.
- A SCRAMBLE to benefit the Powhatan American Legion Auxiliary will be held in the “memory of Marvin Brown” on July 26 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course on Armstrong Mills. The event will begin wit a shotgun start at 9 a.m.
The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes carts, food and refreshments. Teams are encouraged to pre-register to ensure team entry due to limited entries.
Cash prizes will be awarded. There will also be door prizes, raffles and other events. For more information and to register call Pat Binni at 795-5944 or Dian Baker at 795-5396.
- THE BRIDGEPORT BASKETBALL golf scramble will be held on Saturday, May 31 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The cost is $50 per man for a team of three. The cost includes a skins game. The event will include a shotgun start at 9 a.m. For more information, please contact Donnie Cash at 740-359-2806.