Soup Kitchen Scramble winners lauded
The annual Soup Kitchen Scramble was held at Oglebay’s Crispin Center recently.
The tournament, which was sponsored by Bordas & Bordas, attracted a large field of golfers.
The championship was won by the foursome of Mike Anthony, Jake Fullerton, Tom Gaudio and Central Florida-bound golfer Thadd Obecny II. They combined for a round of 51, which is 20 under par.
The second-place award went to the team of Rennie Minor, Dave Reasbeck, Gary Young and Larry Blake. That squad posted a 18-under par round of 53. Third place was posted by Andy Poe, Todd Antill, Scott Hick and Doug Richardson at 12-under.
The top two teams also had a skin to win the skins game. Both eagled one of the two par fives, which are holes 8 and 9.
OIL AND GAS OUTING
The second annual Oil and Gas Outing will be held at Belmont Hills Country Club on Monday, June 30.
The event is held to “show appreciation and awareness to the oil and gas industry.”
The event will begin with a 10 a.m. shotgun start and registration gets under way at 8 a.m. The entry fee is $675 a team, which includes golf, lunch, dinner, beverages on the course, prizes, special events and an open bar at the completion of play.
The event will benefit the Harmony House Children’s Advocacy Center, which works to strengthen the community’s response to child abuse.
The golf portion of the event will also feature skins, mulligans and raffles. Sponsorships are also available for the event.
For more information, or to register a team, please contact Ron Baker at Belmont Hills CC at 695-2263.
BELMONT HILLS CC
Club Professional Ron Baker is once again sponsoring junior clinics throughout the summer for aspiring golfers.
The clinic will start on June 3 and will include nine sessions with the last coming on Tuesday, July 1.
The cost of the clinic is $125 for BHCC members and $150 for non members.
The complete schedule for the clinics is as follows: Tuesday, June 3; Wednesday, June 4; Friday, June 6; Tuesday, June 10; Wednesday, June 11; Tuesday, June 17; Wednesday, June 18; Monday, June 23 and Tuesday, July 1.
All class times will be assigned on Sunday, June 1 and the golf pro shop will contact all of the participants with their scheduled times.
DOWLER MEMORIAL OUTING
The third annual Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Scramble, which benefits Belmont College’s Thomas Dowler Fund, will be held Monday at Belmont Hills with a shotgun start planned for noon.
“Mr. Dowler, former President of the Board, played an integral part in building the Belmont College Foundation, and his love of the college was evident to all those who knew him,” R.J. Konkoleski, Director of Development and External Affairs, said in a press release. “We are excited to have this golf scramble, our premier community event, in Mr. Dowler’s memory as Belmont College’s way of continuing his legacy.”
For sponsorship and/or participation information, please contact Konkoleski at 740-699-3980 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Moundsville Country Club Ladies Golf Association is once again hosting the Tournament of Roses for Ladies of all clubs in the Ohio Valley.
It will be held on Wednesday, June 4 beginning at 8:30 a.m. with breakfast and registration.
A snack will be supplied on the turn and lunch and awards will conclude the day. Prizes will be given in gross and net, with novelty prizes on several holes and a trip for 2 to Hawaii for a Hole-in-One on #18. Registration is $55 and Rose Durant, Tournament Director, can be called at 740-676-6350 for registrations forms and any questions. All ladies are invited to play.
Beginning Thursday, May 8, the Cadiz Country Club will be having a 3-person scramble every Thursday throughout the summer.
The public is welcome to participate along with our members play begins at 5 p.m. cost is $15 per team plus cart fees for nine holes. Woman and seniors over the age of 65 play from their designated tees. Come enjoy a fun evening of golf. If you have any questions feel free to contact the pro shop at 740-942-3618.
MARTIN GOING NATIONAL
Wheeling Country Club Professional Jason Martin has qualified for the 47th PGA Professional National Championship next month in Myrtle Beach.
The event, which has a field of 300 PGA Professionals from all over the United States, is slated for June 19-26 at The Dunes Golf and Beach Club.
The golf season for Wheeling Jesuit sophomore Kasey Frazier came to an end Saturday at the NCAA Division II National Golf Championship. Frazier struggled going into the final round, posting a 10-over par round of 81 on the third day of action.
The event is being held at the Rock Barn Golf & Spa in North Carolina.
- THE THIRD annual Thomas R. Dowler Memorial Classic Golf Scramble will be held on May 19 at Belmont Hills Country Club. The event benefits the Thomas R. Dowler Fund that supports students, faculty, program and facilities for Belmont College.
The event will begin at noon with a shotgun start. Lunch and registration will begin at 11 a.m. Following the round, dinner will be served at 5:30 p.m. The cost for a team is $500 or $125 per player. There will also be prizes, a putting contest and a 50-50 raffle. For more information, to register or become a sponsor of the event, please conact R.J. Konkoleski at 699-3980.
- THE BELLAIRE Touchdown Club is sponsoring its eighth annual golf scramble on Saturday, June 28 at Fairway River Links. The entry fee is $60 per person or $240 per team of four. For more information, please contact Norm via email at email@example.com
- A SCRAMBLE to benefit Easter Seals will be held at Fairway River Links Golf Course on May 17 at 8 a.m. The event is being hosted by the Third Alarm Bar on Wheeling Island. The event has raised $14,000 in first two years and helps to buy therapy tools to be used at the Easter Seals Rehabilitation Center. After the round of golf, there will be a steak fry at 2 p.m. at Wheeling Island Marina. For more information about the scramble or steak fry, call Dorsch at 304-281-4214 or Tom Vapner at 304-215-5315 or 304-242-9665.
- A SCRAMBLE to benefit Jeff Masloski, known as “Tee’D Off at Cancer” will be held at Castle Shannon on Saturday, June 7. The event will begin with an 8 a.m. shotgun start. Jeff is a husband, father and caring friend and a well-respected member of the Adena community. He is a member of the Adena Chamber of Commerce. He was recently diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, and family and friends are
rallying behind him to tackle it head on. The cost to enter the scramble is $65 per golfer, 4-man teams. To secure a spot, call Ken Patterson 740-769-2038. There are also 50/50 tickets for sale at $1 each or 6 for $5. All funds raised will go directly to the Jeff Masloski benefit fund to help defray the significant medical expenses. Additional donations can be sent to Peoples National Bank of Mt. Pleasant in care of the Jeff Masloski Golf Benefit For more information call Georgie Hopkins 740-312-9108 or Doug Utter at 740-314-2029.
- THE 16TH annual Niekro Golf Classic will be held on Friday, June 27 at Belmont Hills Country Club. The event will feature a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. The cost is $100 per golfer and that includes lunch, dinner and prizes. Sponsorships are available for $100 as a hole sponsor and as a gold sponsor for $400. For more information, please contact Gordie Longshaw at 740-296-3580. Or send your payment to Niekro Classic c/o Gordie Longshaw 308 Main St., Bridgeport, OH 43912.
- A SCRAMBLE to benefit the Powhatan American Legion Auxiliary will be held in the “memory of Marvin Brown” on July 26 at Horseshoe Bend Golf Course on Armstrong Mills. The event will begin wit a shotgun start at 9 a.m.
The entry fee is $200 per team, which includes carts, food and refreshments. Teams are encouraged to pre-register to ensure team entry due to limited entries.
Cash prizes will be awarded. There will also be door prizes, raffles and other events. For more information and to register call Pat Binni at 795-5944 or Dian Baker at 795-5396.
- THE BRIDGEPORT BASKETBALL golf scramble will be held on Saturday, May 31 at Paradise Hills Golf Course. The cost is $50 per man for a team of three. The cost includes a skins game. The event will include a shotgun start at 9 a.m. For more information, please contact Donnie Cash at 740-359-2806.
Staskey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org