Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the original founders of nearby Wheeling, laid out the village that later became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood.
Originally named Canton, Bridgeport acquired its name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built.
The arrival of the National Road in 1818 made the growing town a major portal into the state of Ohio for westbound travellers, adding to its importance as a port for Ohio River traffic.
The Blaine Bridge is the oldest standing bridge in Ohio and is on the National Register of Historic?Places.
With the advent of railroads and later transcontinental highways, Bridgeport continues to serve as Ohio's "Gateway to the West."
In sticking with the bridge theme, nearby Blaine is home to the Blaine Bridge, considered one of the most historically and architecturally significant spans in the entire state.
It was designated as the state's official Bicentennial Bridge in 2003.
The bridge was built in 1828 as part of the National Road project. It is the longest, and last of the "S" sandstone bridges along National Road.