MARTINS FERRY The Liberty Engine Company No. 3 of the Martins Ferry Volunteer Fire Department will hold an open house for the public on Thursday from 6-9 p.m.
The station is located at 500 Center St. The event is being held in conjunction with Fire Prevention Week.
"The open house was the idea of several of our members and had been discussed after the purchase of our new fire engine," Fire Chief Jack Regis, Jr. said. "We want to take the opportunity to show off our new fire truck and to show the citizens what their yes votes allowed us to purchase when they passed the levy in 2011. This is truly their fire truck and we are appreciative of their tremendous support."
The citizens of Martins Ferry passed a five year, 1-mill levy in the 2011 primary election for the purchase of a new fire truck.
The Liberty Engine Company took possession of its new apparatus in March of this year.
The 2013 model replaced a 1994 model.
The new truck is compliant with the latest standards and technology and features a much shorter wheel base allowing better navigation on the narrow streets in town.
The open house will feature showcasing the new fire engine as well as fire prevention materials for children and adults.
Free refreshments and food will be available in addition to free blood pressure and glucose screenings provided by the city's EMS crews.
There may also be a visit from Echo and his handler, Patrolman Chad Kuhn, from the Martins Ferry Police Department to the residents are Martins Ferry are invited to stop by and visit.
"We are hoping this event is successful and something we may be able to plan each year during fire prevention week," Regis added. "The community support for the fire department has always been awesome and this is just a small way that we can say thanks."
In addition to the Open House, fire department members will be giving fire safety presentations at all the Martins Ferry schools and passing out fire related safety material to the school aged children.
The Martins Ferry Fire Department would like to remind all residents to change the batteries in their smoke detectors twice per year when you change the clocks.
There should be a smoke detector, at the minimum, on each floor of a house but ideally in each room. Residents needing help to install a smoke detector or to change the batteries may call the fire chief's office at 740-633-0515 and someone will be out to assist them.
Residents are also reminded to have an evacuation plan in place at their homes and to practice it with their children.
The Fire Prevention Week theme is "Prevent Kitchen Fires."
According to the latest NFPA research, cooking is the leading cause of home fires.
Two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home.
Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries and fatalities.
Among the safety tips that firefighters and safety advocates will be emphasizing:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling, or boiling food.
- If you must leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- When you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, stay in the home, and use a timer to remind you.
- If you have young children, use the stove's back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least three away from the stove.
- When you cook, wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves.
- Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels, and anything else that can burn, away from your stove top.
- Clean up food and grease from burners and stove tops.
Fire Prevention Week is actively supported by fire departments across the country. Fire Prevention Week is the longest running public health and safety observance on record.