New school bond issue approved for Harrison Hills

CADIZ – Voters in the Harrison Hills City School District approved a 4.98-mill levy Tuesday to fund the construction and operation of a brand new preK-12 school complex.

According to unofficial vote totals, the 38-year bond issue received 2,474 votes in favor and 2,177 votes against. Superintendent Dana Snider credited passage of the levy to the Youth Education Success group, which campaigned with signs, meetings and promotional materials for months.

“We are just so thankful to the voters and the community,” Snider said. “This has changed the face of Harrison County … it’s just exciting.”

Members of the YES group, along with other community members, teachers and administrators of Harrison Hills were gathered at the Cadiz Country Club to await results Tuesday, and a celebration broke out after the news that the bond issue had passed was received.

Snider said that although she had a positive attitude, she wasn’t sure the bond issue would pass.

“A group of 20-somethings made the entire difference,” she offered.

Now, the school board will meet with the Ohio Schools Facilities Commission to begin the process of building a new, 190,000-square-foot school to house 1,550 students from the county-wide district. OSFC will fund 56 percent of the $45 million dollar complex, while the levy will pay for the remaining 44 percent.

The monthly added cost in taxes for the owner of an $80,000 home, which is the average property value in the county, is $12, or $144 per year.

The new school, which is expected to be ready for students in fall 2019, will be located on property currently owned by Liggett Enterprises between Ohio 9 and Country Club Road in Cadiz. The school board has a purchase option on the property.

Officials have indicated the district will continue to use the current football field and track and gymnasium at Harrison Central Jr./Sr. High School. As to the other buildings, including the high school itself, Harrison North Elementary in Scio and Harrison East Elementary in Hopedale, officials say they will consider community input as to how to use them moving forward.

The election also resulted in good news for the Harrison County General Health District, which needed to pass its 1-mill levy to fund general operation. In favor of the tax were 2,767 voters, while 2,555 were against.

If the levy had failed, Harrison County’s health department would have been the only one of 88 counties in Ohio to rely on the state to fund its operation. Administrator Charles Fisher said voters made a “wise choice.”

“They have everything to gain,” he said.

Fisher also indicated the health department is considering a potential new health commissioner to lead health services in the county.

New school bond issue approved for Harrison Hills

CADIZ – Voters in the Harrison Hills City School District approved a 4.98-mill levy Tuesday to fund the construction and operation of a brand new preK-12 school complex.

According to unofficial vote totals, the 38-year bond issue received 2,474 votes in favor and 2,177 votes against. Superintendent Dana Snider credited passage of the levy to the Youth Education Success group, which campaigned with signs, meetings and promotional materials for months.

“We are just so thankful to the voters and the community,” Snider said. “This has changed the face of Harrison County … it’s just exciting.”

Members of the YES group, along with other community members, teachers and administrators of Harrison Hills were gathered at the Cadiz Country Club to await results Tuesday, and a celebration broke out after the news that the bond issue had passed was received.

Snider said that although she had a positive attitude, she wasn’t sure the bond issue would pass.

“A group of 20-somethings made the entire difference,” she offered.

Now, the school board will meet with the Ohio Schools Facilities Commission to begin the process of building a new, 190,000-square-foot school to house 1,550 students from the county-wide district. OSFC will fund 56 percent of the $45 million dollar complex, while the levy will pay for the remaining 44 percent.

The monthly added cost in taxes for the owner of an $80,000 home, which is the average property value in the county, is $12, or $144 per year.

The new school, which is expected to be ready for students in fall 2019, will be located on property currently owned by Liggett Enterprises between Ohio 9 and Country Club Road in Cadiz. The school board has a purchase option on the property.

Officials have indicated the district will continue to use the current football field and track and gymnasium at Harrison Central Jr./Sr. High School. As to the other buildings, including the high school itself, Harrison North Elementary in Scio and Harrison East Elementary in Hopedale, officials say they will consider community input as to how to use them moving forward.

The election also resulted in good news for the Harrison County General Health District, which needed to pass its 1-mill levy to fund general operation. In favor of the tax were 2,767 voters, while 2,555 were against.

If the levy had failed, Harrison County’s health department would have been the only one of 88 counties in Ohio to rely on the state to fund its operation. Administrator Charles Fisher said voters made a “wise choice.”

“They have everything to gain,” he said.

Fisher also indicated the health department is considering a potential new health commissioner to lead health services in the county.