×

Shadyside, Bellaire shut down conditioning training

SHADYSIDE — Strictly for precautionary reasons, Shadyside and Bellaire are suspending all athletic conditioning and skills training due to coronavirus concerns.

Shadyside Director of Athletics John Triveri confirmed late Saturday that the decision was taking effect immediately. Bellaire formally announced its shutdown Sunday afternoon in an email from superintendent Darren Jenkins.

Jenkins and Athletics Director Mike Sherwood were made aware of a possible COVID-19 case involving an athlete this weekend.

“Bellaire Schools have suspended student activities, including athletics and facilities usage, out of an abundance of caution,” Jenkins said in an email. “The school district is working in cooperation with the Belmont County Health Department on this matter.”

Bellaire’s shutdown takes effect immediately and no definite timetable for how long it will last has been formulated.

“We are optimistic this suspension will be short lived and activities will resume shtly,” Jenkins said.

“This action is being taken as the health department is monitoring potential cases of COVID-19. We appreciate the health department’s assistance and support in this matter.”

Meanwhile, in Shadyside, Triveri said, via text, “this is strictly precautionary. “It was a school decision and it’s for all sports.”

Shadyside’s coaches were informed of the decision Saturday morning and then began informing their athletes that the scheduled activities had been put on hold.

Triveri had no definitive timetable as to how long it would be until Shadyside’s teams could resume training.

“We do anticipate summer activities to resume soon,” Triveri said.

Schools in Belmont County have been following the OHSAA’s suggested three-phase plan for the summer, which includes numerous health protocols, including the taking of temperatures, coaches wearing masks and limited number of athletes taking part in workouts along with sanitizing of equipment.

Workouts and conditioning actually resumed earlier this month after Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine allowed non-contact sports such as baseball, softball, swimming, track and cross country, golf to begin competing last month.

Just last Thursday, DeWine and Lt. Gov. Jon Husted announced that contact sports such as football, basketball, volleyball and soccer could begin scrimmaging as part of “Phase 2” of the return to sports. But that was only for intersquad events, which had not been permitted during the May 26th opening.

In correspondence with the schools, OHSAA Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass informed the membership that there was no set date as to when schools would be able to compete against other schools in basketball summer leagues, 7 on 7 football events, etc.

While “Phase 3” appears as the inevitable next step, there has been no suggestion or indication of what the date for launching “Phase 3” would be,” Snodgrass noted.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

COMMENTS