×

Indian Creek shuts down football for two weeks for COVID-19

WINTERSVILLE – The Indian Creek varsity football program has been shut down for the next two weeks due to two positive COVID-19 cases within the team.

An assistant coach tested positive earlier this week, while a player’s case was confirmed around 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

“We’re doing what we’re supposed to do in the best interest of our students,” Athletic Director Joe Dunlevy said. “When somebody gets sick, the health department tells you what you have to do, and we’re OK with that because we’re going to do what’s best for the kids.”

At the direction of the Jefferson County Health Department, all football coaches and players are not permitted on school campus for at least the next 14 days. As a result, the Redskins’ games Friday at Union Local and next week against Harrison Central have been canceled.

“We don’t want to see anybody get sick or anybody else get sick. I’m just worried about our kids and their families,” head coach Andrew Connor said. “I just hope it doesn’t spread any further.”

As for the remainder of the season when the two weeks conclude, Connor added that it is up in the air whether the Redskins will finish the season or not.

“I think we’ll take everything one day at a time,” he said. “We just have to hope that there will be no more bad news and that nobody else gets affected by this. Our first priority for the remainder of this week is to make sure we get through this without any kids or coaches testing positive. When we get to next week, hopefully everything will calm down, and then we can start thinking about our future.”

Connor is a teacher at Jefferson Vocational School and will teach remotely for the time being. He also had to contact Indian Valley, the team Indian Creek fell to during postseason action on Saturday.

“I talked with their head football coach and told them about our coach and player,” Connor said. “I just wanted to make him aware of it and so that he can do whatever it is he has to do. I think they went on to talk to their health department.”

As a result of the positive tests, the volleyball team had to cancel its OVAC tournament match Tuesday at Union Local. The decision was precautionary, and the school did not want to take the risk of traveling.

The girls soccer squad still played its home contest against Madonna Tuesday night, while the junior high football team still plans to compete today at home.

“As of now, there has been no contact with them and us or vice versa. We held this to the varsity team only,” Connor said. “Our prayers and thoughts go out to our coach and athlete who has been affected by this. We don’t want this to become worse. We want to try and stop this where it’s at now. We probably quarantined ourselves faster than the health department did.”

EDISON CANCELED

Edison’s home football contest scheduled for this Friday also has been canceled after Claymont had a positive case confirmed.

According to head coach Shane O’Brien, the Wildcats, as of Tuesday evening, do not intend on adding a new opponent.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.73/week.

Subscribe Today