Emergency winter crisis program continues

STEUBENVILLE — Jefferson County Community Action Council will assisting residents with Emergency HEAP for those residents in Jefferson County on November 1. Beginning on Monday, the Jefferson County CAC will be scheduling appointments for the Winter Crisis Season.

Interested residents should call our new toll-free number at 1-844-493-1195 to schedule an appointment. The system will guide clients through the scheduling process, set up an appointment, send the client a list of required documents as well as sending the client notifications and reminders.

The Jefferson County CAC will operate two satellite offices: one at the Dillonvale City Building in Dillonvale, and a second location at the WEBA food pantry in Amsterdam, Ohio. For those Jefferson County residents interested in scheduling an appointment for one of these locations please call 740-282-0971, ext. 200.

HEAP assists income-eligible residents with heating bills, whether it is natural gas, electric, and/or bulk fuel. A disconnection notice is required for natural gas and electric. Customers who have regulated utilities will receive a benefit of up to $175, unregulated utility benefit up to $550. You must have less than a 10-day supply of bulk fuel. Benefits for oil, kerosene, propane and bottled gas are up to $750; coal, wood, or solid fuels are up to $450. If a delivery is made and the maximum benefit is not used, there will not be a second delivery.

Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the CAC Administrative Offices, 114 N. Fourth St., Steubenville. Home visits are available for the elderly and/or disabled unable to travel. If someone is representing a client, that person needs a power of attorney or a notarized statement of permission.

Documentation that must be presented at the time of application is proof of income for all members of the household 18 years of age or older for the past 90 days from the day of appointment (pay stubs, copies of SS, SSDI, or SSI checks, award letters or bank statements, OWF/TANF verification, alimony, child support, pensions and utility allowances). Social Security cards and proof of citizenship for all household members, utility bills , and/or vendor information (bulk fuel) are necessary.

Persons claiming zero income must provide written proof which may include a statement from any individual who is providing financial assistance showing the date, their name, address, phone number and a signature. This needs to be detailed showing the dates and every cash amount given to you or paid directly towards your monthly household bills and personal expenses.

If the bills are being paid directly to the creditor, proof of canceled checks and/or receipts are required for the past 90 days. Along with this, a statement from the Department of Job and Family Services, showing all persons in the household, is needed at the time of the HEAP appointment. Any person 18 and older in the household with no income must provide school records if they are attending or an IRS Tax transcript.

To request a copy, call 800-908-9946. Applications will not be accepted without the necessary documentation.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today